Upgrading tanks?!

hairdressica

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I recently was given a new tank for Bowie that measures 70cmx35x35 as an upgrade (approx 75L, 20g)from his itty bitty 20L tank(as I'm thinking of one day adding a new axie -would two fit??)

The new tank has been cleaned (as well as I could) without chemicals
How do I go about moving Bowie across?
His (?)current tank isn't completely cycled but I know it's not suitable in the long term

I've currently got 3 what I call "cannon fodder fish" in the large tank to try jump start the cycle, but Bowie is fast out growing the 20L and I'm anxious to upgrade. I will be putting all the decor from the small tank across when he moves (as I know they carry good bacteria) but really want to get him upgraded ASAP
What are people's recommendations?

(It's also very annoying having two filters running when you're trying to sleep- but it's what I'm willing to do for this ridiculous little creature)

Attachments

Atrus808

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, just left you a message on your previous post...Then I saw this one.
Since you aren't cycled on either tank at this point and you put Bowie back in the original tank, you could just move him into the new one. Place as much original filter media and ornaments/hides so you don't lose all the existing bacteria.
Remember, test test test and frequent water changes if you continue to cycle with Bowie in the tank.
P.S. Remember to remove the fish, don't keep them with Bowie ?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

hairdressica

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, just left you a message on your previous post...Then I saw this one.
Since you aren't cycled on either tank at this point and you put Bowie back in the original tank, you could just move him into the new one. Place as much original filter media and ornaments/hides so you don't lose all the existing bacteria.
Remember, test test test and frequent water changes if you continue to cycle with Bowie in the tank.
P.S. Remember to remove the fish, don't keep them with Bowie ?

My main concern here is that the new tank is so incredibly cloudy that i can barely see... I only recently got Bowies current tiny tank all cleared up and s/he seems so calm and just like their usual self... i dont wanna jeopardize that

...I also have no idea HOW to put the old filter media in the new filter (as i dont know how to open the new filter???)
I just dont want the ammonia fear again, the tiny tank ammonia has lowered and im only just showing signs of nitrates... i think

I also have no where to put the fish then???

Atrus808

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally, I would suggest keeping Bowie is the smaller tank until you can cycle the bigger one. It sounds like your cycle is finally starting in the small tank. Just be sure to test frequently and do water changes to keep the levels in check

hairdressica

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Personally, I would suggest keeping Bowie is the smaller tank until you can cycle the bigger one. It sounds like your cycle is finally starting in the small tank. Just be sure to test frequently and do water changes to keep the levels in check

OOPS - nitrITES are showing - but only just. its not 0ppm, and not .25ppm - but definitely not just blue anymore
Im about to do another water change now
Having the plant in the tank is doing wonders... may have to invest in more for my large tank.. how does lucky bamboo do in a tank?

Attachments

Atrus808

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never had lucky bamboo in my tanks but I have had them as desk plants. They need to be only partially submerged, at least half or more of the top should be out of the water. Maybe someone with previous experience can give you a better opinion on lucky bamboo.
I personally use anubias nana on driftwood and floating water lettuce in my tank

hairdressica

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I've never had lucky bamboo in my tanks but I have had them as desk plants. They need to be only partially submerged, at least half or more of the top should be out of the water. Maybe someone with previous experience can give you a better opinion on lucky bamboo.
I personally use anubias nana on driftwood and floating water lettuce in my tank

ive got lucky bamboo on my unit and its doing really well.. it cant help to try - bamboo is like, $3
the plant i have in bowies tank is a "Broad Corymbosa" and it seems splendid.
how does the moss do??

Also should i keep bowie in this tiny tank until the other one is cycled. what d'ya reckon is the time it'll tank to cycle the large tank??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1