Urgent advice required please!!

ember20

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
please no comments about how this happened, i have definetly learned from my mistakes.
came into the room to find my juvenile axie (approx 6cm long) on the table next to his container (plastic tuppaware as he is still very small)
not sure how long he was there, hav e lowered him very gently back in, he ran off into his pot (so obv alive) but has not moved since and his gills are sort of stuck together./
i understand he must be very weak and have left him alone so as not to stress.
is there anything i can do to help him, i though tperhaps gentle water movement over his girls might help him recover?
has anyone got any adcie
much appreciated,
ember20

Keep him cool and clean. Try offering food, but don't be surprised if it won't eat right away.

thanks for the advice,
he seems to be perking up, won't eat yet, just darts away so i'm not forcing it. and he's started waving hig gills abit (i guess in an attempt to de-tangle them)
poor little guy's already lost a hand to one of his brothers, i do hope this latest fiasco doesnt push him over the edge :(
have they ever been known to metamorphosise as juveniles?
ember20

It's extremely rare for axolotls to undergo metamorphosis in general. Depending on how long it was out of the water, it probably won't push it into metamorphosis.

When I 1st took on my friend's 3 axies, they needed isolation + what was basically fridging (but without the fridge - just in the back room with the windows open constantly + it was brrrrrrrrr!). The only 1 that didn't have any nipping injuries decided to jump out of the tub the 1st day + fell down the back of the cupboard! Luckily, I noticed fairly soon after, but I'd say it was at least 30mins-1hr later (obviously don't know for definate, as I wasn't there when the axie went suicidal!). The axie was stuck down the back of the cupboard + I managed to move the cupboard just about enough for the axie to plop down onto the floor, then I had to use a broom handle to gently roll the axie out across the floor from the back of the cupboard. The axie was covered in dog fluff + had a few minor red patches where it's skin had been damaged very slightly + definately had a sore leg. It shed a little skin, was very quiet + hardly moved for the 1st few days, plus went off it's food.
S/he is perfectly fine now though :happy:

Whilst doing a water change on the work top this morning (moving from one tub to another) one of them lept onto the floor, quite a distance I can say. My heart just stopped! I scooped it up, put it in a container on its own, gills looked a bit stressed, didnt move a lot and thought when I came home from work I would find it dead. To my surprise, it was pushing up on its front legs begging for food when I came home. I am really gonna be so much more careful in the future, it seems the larger they get the more they wriggle. Lesson learned!!

After reading this I'm definitely going to get a mesh for the top of my tank!!! Paranoid now lol

Once when my oldest axie was young, he jumped out of his plastic tank, and ran a little on my floor! I was like 'hey where do you think YOUR going?!'

And he was fine :p

after reading your posts i kinda feel better about what just happened to me today but not really. so i was doing the usual water change and for the first time ever (i've had bronco for a year now and he's super healthy and huge) he jumped out of the little tank i had placed him in while i was cleaning his big tank. same reaction as you guys, i almost had a panic attack and i think my heart stopped too for a second, especially since he was running away from me real fast and i couldn't get ahold of him. anyway, after something like 10-15 seconds i managed to scoop it up (i touched it with my bare hands, is that dangerous?) and put it back in his tank with new and fresh water.

he swam around a little bit and then entered his "cave" and has been there ever since, in the weirdest position (he has his front right foot on the floor and the other three legs up in the air). is that normal? he's been like that for more than an hour now!
thank you!

Touching with bare hands IS a no-no, but you're got to weigh it up - in my mind it's better to pick them up quickly + safely, rather than trying to scoop them into a net which might involve injuring their legs / gills / tails.
My escapee held 1 leg at a funny angle for a couple of weeks, but I couldn't see any problems + since she was in isolation anyway, I didn't need to seperate her any extra! She recovered fine.
Also, some axies love to balance in funny positions - my Canaq likes to stand on top of the plants, balancing on just 1 foot, or even just 1 toe, so it looks like she's not holding on to anything at all, but does it without floating away anywhere. She also likes standing on her back legs, with the front legs hanging down in front of her (like a begging stance, but when I'm nowhere near her too)
Funny little things, aren't they ?! ;)

okay, thanks for reassuring me!
i think he's still recovering from the shock though, because he came out of his "cave" alright but he still either stands on the bottom or floats in that same weird position, plus, he used to be a voracious eater before the accident and now he only ate one little piece of the lance fish i gave him and left the other two pieces floating without hunting around for them and eating them like he usually does.

is this behavior normal?

the thing is my other axolotl just died like 10 days ago after a very long and painful (for both of us) illness, so maybe i'm overworrying, but i'm really scared i'll lose him too and i don't want that to happen!
thank you for your help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back