Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Urgent help needed for juvenile axolotl!

M0mii

Reaction score
My friend got a young axolotl a month ago, he’s alone in a 60L tank, bare bottom with a hide. He got a water change 2 weeks ago and gets shrimp everyday, I’m not too sure about the parameters; they used the filter from their other axolotl’s tank to cycle and prepare the tank for this one. He was fine up until few days ago when we noticed the fungus on him, gave him salt baths for 3 days which didn’t seem to help and made the sores on his body worse so he has been in a tea bath for a few hours now.
We tried offering him bloodworms which he refused.
The owner has been too afraid to google or ask for help in fear of being told they’re losing him after waiting so long to get him and I have very little knowledge on axolotls but have been trying my best but I’m scared what I’ve been reading and being told isn’t working so I’m hoping someone has advice.
I have read indian almond leaves help but it would take days if not weeks for it to arrive here, sadly.. and no fish medicine has been used on him.

Attachments

• D40D7092-0144-4AE8-B9F4-F3607002F684.jpeg
    D40D7092-0144-4AE8-B9F4-F3607002F684.jpeg
    699.5 KB · Views: 186

WaterLily05

Reaction score
He looks bad... Keep his water clean and cool. Get yourself an API Master freshwater test kit, should be about $25 but worth every penny. We need to know the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. Do you have a local fish store? They may carry Indian almond leaves. Fantaxies also carries a fungus medication specifically for axolotls. I have no first hand experience with axolotl diseases, but have heard these recommended. Shrimp is not a nutritious diet for the axolotl, neither is bloodworms. Look for black worms, soft axolotl pellets on amazon, or red wrigglers or night crawlers. You could also go dig up an earth worm. Make sure you cut it up small enough for the axolotl to easily eat.

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
My friend got a young axolotl a month ago, he’s alone in a 60L tank, bare bottom with a hide. He got a water change 2 weeks ago and gets shrimp everyday, I’m not too sure about the parameters; they used the filter from their other axolotl’s tank to cycle and prepare the tank for this one. He was fine up until few days ago when we noticed the fungus on him, gave him salt baths for 3 days which didn’t seem to help and made the sores on his body worse so he has been in a tea bath for a few hours now.
We tried offering him bloodworms which he refused.
The owner has been too afraid to google or ask for help in fear of being told they’re losing him after waiting so long to get him and I have very little knowledge on axolotls but have been trying my best but I’m scared what I’ve been reading and being told isn’t working so I’m hoping someone has advice.
I have read indian almond leaves help but it would take days if not weeks for it to arrive here, sadly.. and no fish medicine has been used on him.
Wow... this axolotl is in dire need of help from a vet. The axolotls diet cannot be based only on shrimp and blood worms, those are snacks he needs fatty foods like night crawlers and pellets. I literally have no advice due to its current state and my belief of getting a vet help especially due to how bad in shape the axolotl is in. I truly hope this little axolotl pulls through.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1