Urgent question!

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I did a water change yesterday on some babies and only one container seemed affected cause all others are fine, anyways I checked about a half hour later on my Lucy's and most of their tails were hooked, some already dead, I quickly transferred all alive ones into another tub with some other week old babies, some have since passed, some are still alive and have mobility and full tummy's but the tails are still hooked. I already know that hooked tails are not a good sign and almost always mean death.

My question is, for the ones that are still hooked and alive, is there any chance of recovery? What are the chances?

I'm absolutely devastated because this fourth clutch is the first time I got Lucy's and out of 35 I have about 10 left as I type this. The water change was done just over 24 hours ago.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.

Hooked tails are not a good sign :(

BUT there is a chance they will ne OK, albeit a slim one. My experience is that when they are so small an illness, infection, nutrition issue or whatever can take just hours to kill them.

But if they are through the worst they may still make it. I would isolate each of them if you can in their own little tub, change their water twice a day, give them some BBS and hope for the best. Intensive TLC may help them through.

Of mine that got sick I lost 3/4 of them, the other 1/4 recovered. Got my fingers crossed for you.

This morning all but two gone :( I'm pretty sure one will be gone by the end of the day as it's not got much spunk at all and only flicks it's tail every so often, the sole survivor seems unscathed tho, no hook or curled gills, eating and zooming around it's tub. So sad :(

I wonder if anyone here would like to part with any eggs here that can guarantee Lucy's?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back