Using Bunnings Sand in Australia

axowattyl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was hoping a fellow Aussie will help me here.

I'm looking at using sand in my 2 large tanks, I'm well aware not to use gravel (despite what the LFS told me today).

In my four footer I have used well rinsed beach sand which has been really good, but I don't want to cart the kinds of amounts needed for these tanks.

I've read of people using 20kg bags of play sand, brickies sand and propogating sand from Bunnings, as well as pool filter sand from Clarke Rubber.

A lot of them swore by it, but it was a little unclear which ones were best.

Most washed it, but one guy mentioned using the propogating sand unwashed, with a layer of washed sand on top to keep the silt in, and said his plants did very well in it.

If I had only one complaint about the beach sand, it would be that it's so fine the vacuum sucks a bit up during cleaning.

As well as the safety factor for the axies, I love sand because it keeps all the poop accessible for cleaning.

I really would like a slightly coarser sand than beach sand, any suggestions?

StickyTounge

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I use sand from bunnings in my indoor tanks, it works, just wash it well first as its a bit grubby straight out of the bag, The plants grow well in it…. but yeah the siphon eats a lot of it up so be careful…
I can't remember the brand of sand, i think i have a spare in the carport, ill grab a photo.

StickyTounge

Reaction score
Country
Australia
heres the brand of the sand.

Attachments

• CAM00998.jpg
    CAM00998.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 656
  • CAM00996.jpg
    CAM00996.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 686

axowattyl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks very much for that!

That's the way I'm going to go, there's no way I'm spending the kind of money it costs at the LFS.

layna

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Layna
Childrens play sand or pool filter sand are the recommended ones :D

gorgeousjorge

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have also always used play sand from Bunnings, the Richgro brand. Not sure how it compares to the other brands, but I've never had any problems and it settles fairly quickly (I wash it well before I put it in the tanks). My tanks have always been planted and the plants seem to grow well in it. Siphon does pick it up but not much of it makes it into the bucket! It's very white.

Attachments

• play sand.jpg
    play sand.jpg
    348.9 KB · Views: 518

axowattyl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I have also always used play sand from Bunnings, the Richgro brand. Not sure how it compares to the other brands, but I've never had any problems and it settles fairly quickly (I wash it well before I put it in the tanks). My tanks have always been planted and the plants seem to grow well in it. Siphon does pick it up but not much of it makes it into the bucket! It's very white.

Yes, that's the one I've seen there.

Thank you all for your help.

Obviously this will be a huge saving compared to using the LFS's product when I'm doing two 6x2x2's!

Cheers,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Does anyone know if aquacare general tonic is ok for axolotls as a treatment for bacterial or fungal infection?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi Lilith, you can check the medications page for a list of axolotl safe treatments. Although if the infection is mild, I would stick with fridge and salt baths!
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    I believe the fridge gets to about 54°, so if you can replicate that in the tank, it might be okay. I personally would fridge just to make catching them easier, and if the infection is something in the water column at all, it will hopefully die out while they're AWOL (I'm thinking like ich for fish, not sure if axies have an equivalent)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Ok, thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • chitoos:
    My three inch axolotl was having trouble pooping up to a few days ago. I wasn't feeding her as often because I was scared I would just add to her constipation. I fridged her until she pooped (twice), and then began to feed her around 6 bloodworms every other day. she's been pooping everyday now, but she's at that age where you can see through her stomach and I always see poop ready to come out but has not yet passed. I don't think she's constipated anymore, but I'm not sure and i don't want to over or underfeed her... any advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Feed it chopped worms chitoos, its big enough and bloodworm is nutritionaly deficient.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Freeze dried , live or frozen bloodworm.
    +1
    Unlike
  • chitoos:
    Oh ok thanks! I thought she might be ready for something more. do you have any advice about the apparent poop problem?
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Lilith, fridging is not required for fungus treatment. Read my thread on treatment.
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Feed it more, six bloodworm isnt much, dont use freeze dried foods
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Feed daily , remove uneaten food
    +1
    Unlike
  • chitoos:
    Gotcha, Thank you!
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    Its probably not pooping because its hardly beign fed, it pooped in the fridge because the lower temp caused it to purge itself. If it stays constipated you can pm me
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    Hi guys. Quick question. I have newly morphed eastern newt efts. They lost their gills but they still prefer the water. I have coconut fiber, moss, hidey holes and some food in the temporary habitat for them (waiting for the other newts to morph as well). But they still run back to the water. Is it the wrong substrate? Do they prefer something other than coconut fiber? I've been doing everything else properly (According to my research) but just wondering why they haven't ventured up. Have any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    My guess is they simply have no reason to leave. Do they still get enough food in the water? Maybe humidity is too low?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Audrey22:
    I spray mist the place every day. And I do still feed him. One of them has finally come out. But now I have another problem. They don't look like eastern newts! I am posting pictures on a thread I've started. If you can, take a look for me and see. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Herphunter has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    Hi guys. Can someone please tell me the sex of my axolotl. I thought I knew for the past four years but a breeder told me I was wrong. PayPal: Your security code is: 138208. It expires in 10 minutes. Don't share this code with anyone.
    +1
    Unlike
  • tammyaxie:
    I'm sorry, please disregard the last part. Thought I pasted a photo
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    NewbieAxie has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: NewbieAxie has left the room. +1