Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Using tadpoles for feeding

Tarabull

Reaction score
My African clawed frogs have laid eggs for three nights in a row. I have hundreds of eggs. I know the parents will eat their babies but I'm curious if the tadpoles can be fed to axolotls or sirens. One side of me says awe poor babies but there is no way I can raise hundreds of frogs. They won't live anyway and I might as well put them to use if they are okay to use as food. Does anyone know if there is anything that prevents them from being a food source?

xxianxx

Reaction score
The adults are unlikely to chase down tiny tadpoles to eat though they may eat eggs, so I wouldn't really on predation to keep the numbers down.There are no probs to feeding tadpoles off to other phibs except for disease control, as far as I am aware, axolotls def eat them. Xenopus are known carriers of chytrid and could potentially pass it on if tads are used as feeders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!