UV filters

AuSu

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Display Name
Auli
I think it's been here somewhere but couldn't find with "search" so please guide me to right direction if you know it :)

The question is about UV filtration. I'm considering it due bsal possibility - my animals are healthy but they could be carriers and at the moment testing is not possible here. I'd like to flush water down the drain safely or water flowers & veggies without being afraid of setting wildlife into danger. I even was about to buy one but the seller didn't want to post it. Now that I've searched ebay etc., these things seem to cost nothing abroad! Do you have favourites; which brand/brands/sites are trustable and common so that you can get parts for it later (bulbs and what else these things need) and shopping is safe?

I would be using it in a large tub with waste water, not in tanks with animals, if this makes any difference.

If you're only going to use it for your waste water regarding to Bsal, you could also thing about the option of heating your water with a camping water heater or something else. I understand Bsal has trouble wiht temps above 25C. I use this method to get rid of planaria in my fish tanks. I can manage to let the temps raise to 60C, a temperature which is deadly for planaria, still your plants survive. Of course not with the animals in it.

Hello Auli, I've been using UV filters on my koi pond and my (700 litre) over stocked tropical fish tank for many years and wouldn't be without them. This is much better than relying on anti microbial chemicals etc. I'd always go for the separate unit and not one integrated into the (mechanical/biological) filter. They are, perhaps, expensive to buy but in the long run they give peace of mind and are a lot cheaper than replacing stock.

Your regard for wildlife is highly commendable but I feel you don't need to worry re using the waste water from your tanks on your plants etc because the UV filter will take care of water sterilisation within your animals' tank so what you siphon off should be perfectly safe.

Since the UV sterilisation process works by causing bacteria, algae etc clumping, you'll need a decent mechanical filter too. I put mine through the floss, charcoal and peat in the tank and through the Easipod on the pond. Be sure to replace the UV tube regularly to maintain the intensity. Also keep the jacket surrounding the UV tube, which the water flows through, clean to aid light transmission. In addition, I like to have a fairly weak water flow to maximise exposure of the microbes to the light.

What do you think about this UV-filter, is it worth buying? Odyssea UVC-watercleaner 36 W, it's in this link:
https://www.aquaristic.net/index.php?cl=details&anid=4ca451abdf3a22612.29931737

It needs a stream pump to work (I don't have any outern filters, only small airpumps for air pump filter), would one of these be suitable: Eheim compact 600 l/h, Eheim powerhead 1212 (650 l/h) or TUNZE Universalpump Mini 5024.04 (150-300 l/h)? If I want the water go slowly through the filter (stronger handling?) then I choose not so efficient pump? I've never dealed with stream pumps so what's the difference there, for example these two Eheims which drive almost the same volume of water per hour. What should I check out?

Is there something else I need to think or add to shopping list if I choose to go this way? This is new to me so I'm like a big questionmark here :)

Hello Auli, I have an Eheim filter which takes water from the tank, filters it and then returns the filtered water to the tank.
I simply attach the uv filter to the Eheim intube.
so, a) water is pulled into the uv inlet tube by the Eheim.
b) water passes through the uv filter,
c) the water passes out of the uv filter and directly into the attached Eheim inlet.
d) water passes through the Eheim and then out into the tank.
No need for a separate pump to work the uv unit if you attach it to your mechanical/bio filter.

The unit you linked to looks rather bulky but it'll do the job.
You need to think in terms of:
1. the longer unit, increases the exposure of the bacteria/algae etc in the water to the uv.
2. A slower water movement through the uv increases the exposure as in 1. so you can use a shorter unit.
3. Higher wattage uv tube increases effect but do t go crazy on this as it will also heat the water.
4. Remember to change the uv tube every six months or so. iIt'll still glow up but it won't be as effective,

I have only air pump and filter on it but I suppose you can't attach it there??? Thanks for clearing things out. I'm still wondering whether to go for it now or later, the group has decided to have deadline today..

Dear Auli, my advice would be, you don't need it. it's not essential. Good husbandry is all you need. Frequent water changes, low stocking rates and not over doing the feeding will keep nitrates etc down. Bacteria utilise the nitrates. Unless you're working for a biological weapons company, I'd have a uv filter down as a future development in your care.

Well, that's how I decided now until I can make it clear for myself which pump etc. would be most useful for my needs. I'm not worried about my pets, they are doing fine and since I'm not getting new ones (!!! :) ) they are not threatened. I just worry about my environment if it happened some of my little ones were a carrier of disease - but after searching and searching, I just a moment ago found shock chlor and will probably test that. And maybe do some sort of "garden filter" to my back yard :D

Dear Auli, my advice would be, you don't need it. it's not essential. Good husbandry is all you need. Frequent water changes, low stocking rates and not over doing the feeding will keep nitrates etc down. Bacteria utilise the nitrates. Unless you're working for a biological weapons company, I'd have a uv filter down as a future development in your care.

I don't know how it's done in the UK, but water that's flushed down the drain doesn't end up in nature straight away here. Even if it does, I don't think bsal stands much of a chance when it comes in contact with other waste water, probably filled with chemicals, soap residu and such. Getting a UV-filter just for your water doesn't hurt of course.

Yes, that's the situation in Finland too. It goes through some kind of filtration which in my understanding is most mechanical. I hope studying the subject (water, filtration, bacteria & swamps) will increase my knowledge about it so that I can value which things are important to do & which not. Thanks for your help Blackbun, Jort and Niels, I appreciate your comments!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back