Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Various Plethodontids

Zach42

Reaction score
Thes are all the species of salamanders I have found in the wild. They are all members of the family Plethodontidae. They are, from left to right, Eastern Redback Salamander Plethodon cinereus, Longtailed Salamander Eurycea longicauda longicauda, Northern Slimy Salamander Plethodon glutinosus, Southern Redback Salamander Plethodon serratus, and last but not least is the Southern two Lined Salamander Eurycea cirrigera. I am hoping this will be a productive year for salamanders, so far it has been, with the longtail and the Southern Redback being added this year.

Attachments

• Eastern Redback Salamander.jpg
    Eastern Redback Salamander.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 730
  • Longtail Salamander.jpg
    Longtail Salamander.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 712
  • Slimy salamander.jpg
    Slimy salamander.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 483
  • Southern Redback salamander.jpg
    Southern Redback salamander.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 632
  • Southern Two lined Salamander.jpg
    Southern Two lined Salamander.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 829

Zach42

Reaction score
Thanks, unfortuneatly I don't have any of salamander habitat. I didn't really start taking habitat shots til this year and I often forget. I do have this one, which is in an area full of Soutern Leopard frogs.

Attachments

• Southern Leopard frog.jpg
    Southern Leopard frog.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 597
  • habitat.jpg
    habitat.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 1,639

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics. I love last picture, superb. Also last habitat shot looks so neat. Such a pond in the woods filled with plants like that what a heaven for amphibians. Was there any sal specie besides the sth leopard frogs?
cheers,

Zach42

Reaction score
Thank you, that pic is actually one small part of the habitat, It's a low lying marshy woodland with lots small ponds and swampy areas. I've never found a salamander there, but I Imagine they are some Ambystoma in the spring. I've only been there once this year due to all the rain we've gotten it has been unaccesable since late March. I have found green frogs, bullfrogs, wood frogs, western chorus frogs, Northern Cricket frogs, garter snakes and brown snakes there. I have also heard and seen the larvae of spring peepers and Cope's Gray treefrogs. So yea, pretty good spot.:D

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
So it seems! In witch part of the US do that and similar ponds exist? Is that a vernal pool or something connected to a stream/spring?

Zach42

Reaction score
This is in Southern Indiana. It's a nature preserve in a low lying area way out in the country. Along the trail there are lots of small puddles and areas that usually pretty much have water all year. Then there are bigger deeper ponds, there are creeks that sometimes flow into them but they are very slow moving so it seems like one big continuous pond. Basically a huge swamp. Then there is a prarie type area with tall grass and small ponds here and there.All this combined makes perfect habitat for many species of frogs, snakes, ect. I really hope we don't get any more rain so I can go there this weekend. If I do I should get some more habitat shots.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1