Very ill O.ophryticus

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
After loosing 3 of my 5 juveniles i finally thought the bad luck was over...
However today i found my biggest, 9cm, (and i thought healthiest) one looking very ill. The coloration has changed, now it has like dark and light patches (not the usual dark/light patches). I´ll try to take a photo later.
It also has lost weight and is looking thin for the first time.
The movement is erratic, and it shows an obssesion with digging i had never seen before.
What´s wrong with it? My first guess was some bacteria disease on the skin, so i thought maybe the substrate is too humid (i have a dry area and a slightly wet area). Then looking at how thin he looks i thought maybe it´s dehydrating...
Anyone can help, please?
I´m now keeping it on a separate tank, with paper towels some bark and a small water bowl. I didn´t even mist the paper towels (following my first thought about a possible bacteria infection)....

well I don't keep your species but I do have vittatus. I do not know how you have been keeping them but I was told that mine tend to need a variety of humidity and climate. Thus it was recommended to me to make their tank with substrate that slanted considerably, for example, layer of rocks, then an incline of dirt mixed with coconut fiber, going from very low on one side to very high on the other. Then I put a water dish on the low end. This allows them to find the moisture and humidity level that they prefer. -and as a side not, I would always mist paper towel because it can be scratchy or if your newt starts to dry out it can stick to the paper towel....

Yeah, i realized that and misted the paper towls last night...
Their tank has a glass divider, that separates the slightly humid coco fiber, and the totally dry part. They have plenty of hiding places...
Well...anyway it´s still the same...no aparent change.

Right now it´s 23ºC. It´s slightly high but i don´t think it´s too high...
All my other animals seem perfectly fine. Should i try to cool it down?

Just found it dead.
Definitely not a species for me....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    sera: @Clareclare, +2
    Back