Very old axolotl stopped eating

L

laura

Our axolotl, Axle, is 13 and hasn't eaten for week. The week before he only ate a little. He normally eats mainly Reptomin pellets. When we offer him food he flounces round the tank. His gills seem to be degenerating and he is losing weight. It has been very hot here recently but his tank is in total shade in a north facing room.
I know Axle is very old, but any suggestions?

I visited the gallery before i saw this post so i'll start over
happy.gif
. The pic of Axle in the gallery looks like he's carrying a lot of fluid, he seems bloated - you say he's actually lost weight? The lack of gills is also noticeable. Could you check for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and post the readings back? Also, Reptomin - what's the nutritional analysis on that %fat and protein?

Thanks for that, but please don't worry. The angle of the picture is very deceptive and makes him look a lot fatter than he really is or ever was - in fact the photo was taken 2 years ago. As far as the gills are concerned, they have always been very sparse, as have those of his relatives.
I have no means of checking pH etc readings.
Reptomin protein is 42.5%, oil 8.5%

Thanks. If you take a water sample to your local pet store, they should be able to do those tests for you.

A week isn't a long time for an axy not to eat, but it is a worry when it happens. I've had one go 4 weeks without food before. It could well be the heat putting him off but it's best to get the water checked.

You could try floating frozen water bottles in the water to lower it a few degrees. I don't suppose you have a thermometer to get the water temp?

Will try taking the water temperature. It has been unusually warm lately though much cooler today thankfully!
Thank you for your suggestions.

39462.jpg

I dug out the digital camera and just took this picture of Axle. As you can see, he is pretty streamlined in reality. Hope this reassures you - thanks for your concern!

Laura - You could put him in a food safe container (like an ice cream bucket)in some fresh dechlorinated water and put him in the fridge for a few days.

We might well try the fridge - it worked miracles once before when he was constipated!

Also try to tempt him with some different foods often axolotls aren’t to fond of pellets.

Thanks for that. He is in the fridge now as tank temperature rose to 24C yesterday. During last week we tried to tempt him with prawns, which he had a nibble of and also worms which he used to love. However he seems to have gone right off worms - either their wriggling makes him thrash madly round the tank or he lets them crawl into his mouth and doesn't even take a bite.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back