Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Very precocious T.dobrogicus

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, i thought i´d make a little update on this year´s T.dobrogicus, which at barely 3 months after metamorphosis are all grown up (except they aren´t really...).
Of the 5 juveniles, two are males and already courting like mad, with their little crests, their swollen cloacas and their breeding coloration. The largest female is already practicing egg laying.

I have no idea how it´s possible that they are so developed at such an early age...the males became obvious just a month and a half or so after morphing!!!

Since i´m in the posting mood, i´m also adding a couple of (very bad, sorry....) pictures of this year´s pyrrhogaster too, some of which have doubled in size. They are all doing very well and eating like there´s no tomorrow.

I´m just waiting for the temps to drop to ship the whole lot of them! xD

PS: I know the quality is terrible...i´m sorry, i really can´t do better :S

Attachments

• P1070778.JPG
    P1070778.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 376
  • P1070776.JPG
    P1070776.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 340
  • P1070781.JPG
    P1070781.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 305
  • P1070780.JPG
    P1070780.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 343

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
What a bunch of good looking newts! I too am amazed at how quickly they show there sex so soon after morphing. Mine literally morphed about a month ago and I can easily tell between the males and females (little crest is a dead giveaway along with body shape, color, etc). This was my first year breeding this species... definitely hardy and prolific!

I love your pyrrhogaster. Keep us update with more pics of those little guys! Are you planning on keeping any of the offspring?

Mitch

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m only keeping one T.dobrogicus female to replace the one i lost. The rest (5) will be given away to a good friend of mine along with a group of pyrrhogaster.
It´s not easy to part from them, but i couldn´t possibly keep more xDD

Best of lucks with yours!

fabian

Reaction score
Hi Azhael,
... pictures of this year´s pyrrhogaster too, some of which have doubled in size. They are all doing very well and eating like there´s no tomorrow.
How long did this take? How big were they after metamophosis, and how big are they now? My pyrrhogaster offspring always grows terribly slow.

Greetz
Fabian

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, they morphed at 2-2.5 cm long, and after a little over 3 months, the first ones to morph are a just over 4 cm long. Still small, but doing very well.

evut

Reaction score
I just looked at my biggest pyrrhogaster larva (hatched 17 July) and it already has 2.5 cm. How old were yours when they morphed, Azhael?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
3-4 months old, i think.
I raised the larvae with the parents and it seems the food possibilities weren´t enough, so they started morphing at a small size. I had had good results with C.orientalis in the same tank, but i suposse 6 adult pyrrhogaster leave less options for the larvae than 2 adult orientalis xDD
It was a bit tricky at first, but despite the tiny size, they quickly started to do very well.
Next breeding season (which might be around the corner since the males are all in breeding dress) i´ll raise a bunch of them separately and see if i get bigger sizes at metamorphosis. Doesn´t really bother me that they morph small, though...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!