Illness/Sickness: Very sick axie

Quentari

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Quentari
So ii got my mother-in-law an axolotl for an early mothers day present, then got a call from her today because "he might be sick". I head over and holy **** he is VERY sick.

He was missing a leg when we brought him, and it's gone... mouldy? there's white fluff coming from it. His gills are curled forward and his tail is bent at the end, one of his other feet are bleeding but I can't work out what he cut himself on AND to top it off he has a prolapsed cloaca. Oh, and he did this thing where he opened his mouth really wide then started... gagging? like his whole body was convulsing I think maybe he was trying to throw up. Oh. And despite the fact that he's a lecustic he's gotten some dark pink/red spots on his body, looks kind of like burst blood vessels to me.

At the moment he's in the fridge, checked the water it's 18C with no ammonia or nitrite with only 10 nitrate, lived in a 10gallon tank with little to no light. He was on sand with a hide and a few very large rocks as decoration. He hasn't been eating much, but she's only had him 5 days so not much appetite is normal.

I know I need to give him a salt bath for the leg but I don't want to hurt him while his cloaca is all balloon-ey, so I thought I'd get some advice off here. I really am at a loss at where to start. We can't really afford a vet, at least not until next week.

Attachments

• IMG_0694[1].jpg
    IMG_0694[1].jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_0691[1].jpg
    IMG_0691[1].jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_0695[1].jpg
    IMG_0695[1].jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,314
Gee Quentari, sorry to see the little fella so unwell.

I can only think that the prolapse needs to be looked at first and only a vet would be able to help there - perhaps if you can find one in the sticky thread here, they might help out with the rest.

Good luck with him, keep us up to date :happy:

This poor little axolotl needs to see a vet now, not next week. Please do not try to treat this your self, the animal is suffering.

This poor little axolotl needs to see a vet now, not next week. Please do not try to treat this your self, the animal is suffering.

I was worried that would be the case. Ill call the local animal hospital tomorrow and see if they do axies plus a price on getting him fixed, but he's not my axolotl so if his owner can't afford it there isn't a lot I can do except try and ease his pain as much as possible. I am feeling really bad for selecting that one out of the 5 white ones that were in the tank though.

If you've only had him 5 days I would complain to the person/store where you purchased him/her. They should at least refund you your money, if not the vet fees!

From what you have described it is unlikely to be a problem with your set-up (though photos will help of course). If your water parameters are fine, and he's on sand, thats all good too. I imagine this has been an issue inherited from his previous owner.

回复: Very sick axie

[SIZE=+0]I think this is anal prolapse, the disease can cause bleeding, causes some rocks or sand, or may be swallowed or muscle relaxation. It was time to stop feeding him, as medication is concerned, China may be different from you, I will not casually suggested.[/SIZE]
So ii got my mother-in-law an axolotl for an early mothers day present, then got a call from her today because "he might be sick". I head over and holy **** he is VERY sick.

He was missing a leg when we brought him, and it's gone... mouldy? there's white fluff coming from it. His gills are curled forward and his tail is bent at the end, one of his other feet are bleeding but I can't work out what he cut himself on AND to top it off he has a prolapsed cloaca. Oh, and he did this thing where he opened his mouth really wide then started... gagging? like his whole body was convulsing I think maybe he was trying to throw up. Oh. And despite the fact that he's a lecustic he's gotten some dark pink/red spots on his body, looks kind of like burst blood vessels to me.

At the moment he's in the fridge, checked the water it's 18C with no ammonia or nitrite with only 10 nitrate, lived in a 10gallon tank with little to no light. He was on sand with a hide and a few very large rocks as decoration. He hasn't been eating much, but she's only had him 5 days so not much appetite is normal.

I know I need to give him a salt bath for the leg but I don't want to hurt him while his cloaca is all balloon-ey, so I thought I'd get some advice off here. I really am at a loss at where to start. We can't really afford a vet, at least not until next week.

If you've only had him 5 days I would complain to the person/store where you purchased him/her. They should at least refund you your money, if not the vet fees!

From what you have described it is unlikely to be a problem with your set-up (though photos will help of course). If your water parameters are fine, and he's on sand, thats all good too. I imagine this has been an issue inherited from his previous owner.

Yeah especially since the other one we brought on the same day randomly died this morning for no reason that I can see. I'm going to the market on Saturday to have a word with the stall owners, it won't help Merlin get better and it's too late for Stark... but I dunno. Maybe they can suggest something.

Re: 回复: Very sick axie

[SIZE=+0]I think this is anal prolapse, the disease can cause bleeding, causes some rocks or sand, or may be swallowed or muscle relaxation. It was time to stop feeding him, as medication is concerned, China may be different from you, I will not casually suggested.[/SIZE]

Yeah I had guessed that it was a prolapse :( I'm going to call the vet today and see if they do exotics. Hopefully they can help and hopefully it will be cheap enough for his owner to afford.

Re: 回复: Very sick axie

So his owner's given him to me and I've contacted the vet. They'll have someone in on wednesday who can have a look at him/euthenize if he's too far gone. For now he's getting daily water changes in the fridge and I'm thinking of a tea bath to help with the infection. Wish me luck.

回复: Re: 回复: Very sick axie

I think Wednesday is too late :(
So his owner's given him to me and I've contacted the vet. They'll have someone in on wednesday who can have a look at him/euthenize if he's too far gone. For now he's getting daily water changes in the fridge and I'm thinking of a tea bath to help with the infection. Wish me luck.

Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Very sick axie

Tea would help soothe him, sorry the little guy is so sick. I wish there were more vets around who could look at axolotls.

He was at mine for less than an hour before he passed :( I hadn't even finished brewing the tea yet.

At least the people at the pet store were good about it, both axies they sold me died within a week so they gave me a full refund. good service even if their axolotl's have short life spans :(

Tea would help soothe him, sorry the little guy is so sick. I wish there were more vets around who could look at axolotls.

Me too. At least I know there is one nearby who does do axolotl's (5 minute drive) so I'll have to keep an "axie fund" for anything emergency, otherwise she's only in every few days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back