Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Very Sick Axolotl PLEASE HELP

lilrubbish

Reaction score
My axolotl is not doing well at all and I don't know what to do. I've had her for about five months now and she's about five inches long, so still a juvenile. The past couple of weeks she's been eating less (she usually ate about one whole nightcrawler a day, but went down to just one or two pieces a day) and swimming funny, like kind of lopsided? But she was still eating and active, so we weren't too worried. A couple of days ago she got much worse, just floating at the top of her tank lopsided. Still eating only a piece or two of worm, and only occasionally swimming around (still lopsided). I read that axies who don't get enough food may float, so I decided to try buying some new food that maybe she'll like more. I also tested her water and it was fine. I came home from work tonight with bloodworm pellets to find her floating completely on her side, nearly unresponsive (but not totally), and almost like bent upwards at the belly? She almost looks like she's in rigor mortis, the way she's laying there. I tried feeding her the pellets but she didn't even respond. I don't know what to do, I'm afraid she won't even make it through the night 😥 Do I fridge her? Tub her? Has anyone had this happen before? Please help me, it breaks my heart to see her floating there like that 😢

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
First things first tub her in only enough water to have her covered with prime treated water and get her in the fridge.

Then tell me about your tank, temp, substrate actual parameters, tank mates?

lilrubbish

Reaction score
First things first tub her in only enough water to have her covered with prime treated water and get her in the fridge.

Then tell me about your tank, temp, substrate actual parameters, tank mates?

Thank you for your suggestion. I was preparing for her to be tubbed and fridged but unfortunately she didn't make it through the night. 😢

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!