Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Virginia Living Museum

freves

Reaction score
I had an opportunity to visit the VLM in Newport News, VA this past weekend. It is really an impressive facility and I highly recommend it to anyone looking to see many native Virginian species in naturalistic enclosures. I was a little disappointed by the lack of caudate species on display (given the diversity that we have in the state) however they did have a Cryptobranchus, Necturus, Notopthalmus, a lesser siren, eastern tiger, and a few other ambystomatids and plethodontids. Here is a link to the website http://www.thevlm.org/
Chip

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And they have an otter in their logo!, I saw, as I checked out the site. I'll be going down to Roanoke in March, but it would add 6 hours of driving to the trip :( But it sure looks cool! Did you see otters there?

freves

Reaction score
How long are you going to be in Roanoke? I am right down the road so you can come by and name all of my herps if you want.
Chip

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I second Chip's recommendation. I used to be a volunteer at the VLM. I learned many important things, like how to yell loud enough to be heard over the voices of rowdy children on field trips! Happily, I haven't needed this skill since then. On a more pleasant note, I learned the right way to pick up a bullfrog, how to take care of saltwater tanks, and how to entertain a sea turtle.

The VLM used to be in a smaller building; the current one opened just after I moved away. I have been back to see it, and it's quite impressive. I'm actually surprised that they have that many caudates these days.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
That Museum looks really awesome, I'd love to get a chance to go sometime. Getting to volunteer there must be even more cool!

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I used to be a volunteer at the VLM. I learned many important things, like how to yell loud enough to be heard over the voices of rowdy children on field trips! Happily, I haven't needed this skill since then. On a more pleasant note, I learned the right way to pick up a bullfrog, how to take care of saltwater tanks, and how to entertain a sea turtle.
QUOTE]
Ahhh, the experiences of a volunteer - animal handling, husbandry, crowd control and enrichment.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That Museum looks really awesome, I'd love to get a chance to go sometime. Getting to volunteer there must be even more cool!

Volunteering is a wonderful experince - if you get the chance, Nathan, check out local opporunties at a zoo/museum near you.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My boyfriend is a marine biologist and got invaluable experience when he was younger volunteering at a wildlife sanctuary. Not that that's the same field, but he learned to love animals/reptiles which led to biology.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
Volunteering is a wonderful experince - if you get the chance, Nathan, check out local opporunties at a zoo/museum near you.

Actually Jan, it's funny you say that, as I just happen to have landed an Animal Care position at the local Nature center. I'll get to help care for many of the animals that have been given homes at the center over the years. It's every other Monday, so not only will I get to have fun being involved, but it's a great way to rack up service hours needed for me to graduate/earn scholarships.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How long are you going to be in Roanoke? I am right down the road so you can come by and name all of my herps if you want.
Chip

She's coming down to see me and Justin March 12-14, and to go herping with all of us (a bunch of my friends, some c.org members, etc. the big 'spring break trip'). You're now formally invited to come out with us.

If you PM either me or Justin your phone number, we can get ahold of you when the time comes closer and we'll give you our itinerary and see if you want to come out with us :)

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just to reiterate: the only full day I'll be there for herping is that Friday. I'll arrive Thursday and leave Saturday.

i_love_necturus

Reaction score
Looks like a great place to vistit, used to live down there. I'll be in DC this week and will probably go to the DC zoo (I hear they have greater siren and 3 toed amphiuma) I may also stop at the Baltimore zoo to see there caudate collection. I'll be sure to take pictures and make a thread if I can

freves

Reaction score
Thanks for the invitation Kaysie. I have already corresponded with Dawn but I will send you the same message so you will know what is going on. I hope to be able to make it.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!