Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vivarium set up with cooling

Shazz

Reaction score
Hi, finally got round to building a new vivarium for my Tigers and am pretty pleased :D with the outcome so thought I would come and share.

Made out of the usual furniture board, polystyrene, expanding foam and cement.

The vivarium size is 1000mm x 550mm x 550mm and has ducting on top where the fans and cooling chamber are housed, which I must say works very well indeed, on the left hand side is the exhaust from vivarium which then passes through the 'cooling chamber' where I put ice packs and cool air pulled through by right hand side fan into the vivarium above the pool, with this method I can maintain a steady air temp of around 16/17C whilst room temperature is around 21C.
Carcass.jpg Cooling.jpg Finished.jpg

Part of the base of the vivarium was cut out to enable a glass panel to be fitted 1: so I can see where the tigers are (possibly depending on how far down they have dug) and 2: to allow for soil cooling if needed (a tray with some ice packs, I do like my ice packs :p ).

The pool has a filter/pump (tiny one hidden) which produces a nice little trickle down the rock face where the tiger is climbing and pump is hidden under that pebble disguised panel, there is also a plug in the bottom of pool which is connected to various speedfit plumbing bits and hose pipe underneath the vivarium to enable easy drainage and cleaning all accessible through the removable bottom fascia panel.
Waterfall.jpg Drainage.jpg Plug.jpg Filter pump.jpg

Lighting used are white leds and also a colour changing led for ambient lighting though only very subtle.

Whilst this project was relatively easy it wasn't without problems, mainly leaks, very stubborn leaks :mad: which got sorted eventually with a lots of silicone! It was definitely worth the effort and of course the blood, sweat and tears that went into it.

I have tried to keep it as brief as possible so if there are any questions please ask.

Arwen9

Reaction score
I have no idea how you did all that, lol. But I'm terribly jealous. ;)

That is very cool. :cool:

raymondsmindjob

Reaction score
WOW that's sounds awesome and I would really like to know more details about your construction process. I PMed you if could find the time to help me out!
Looks very "cool" indeed.

creatorlars

Reaction score
Looks awesome!!! How often do you need to change out the ice packs, if you don't mind me asking?

Shazz

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments, in hind sight I think I kept it too brief so I shall get busy and add in some more details.

Regarding ice packs no more than twice a day at present, I let the tank warm up slightly during the day only to about 19c but keep it cooler for night just as it would be naturally.

If anyone has any others questions please feel free to ask, I am happy to help.

Shazz

Reaction score
Okay, for anyone interested I have compiled a detailed guide to how I made my vivarium, and believe me when I say it's not brief this time :eek: I have also included plenty of pictures with diagrams.

View attachment A GUIDE TO HOW I MADE MY VIVARIUM.doc

I am embarrassed :eek: to say that I have never made a word document before so this was a great learning experience for me, I have tried my best to make it as user friendly as possible.

MollyAttack

Reaction score
I wonder if your cooling chamber would work for an aquarium with newts? I'm not sure it would considering the fans pull out hot air, and are cooling air, not water. Any opinions on that?

Hmm... very very cool enclosure though. Props to you!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!