Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

VNM Press: Rare amphibian found in northern Vietnam

W

wes

<font color="0000ff">Photo at URL below</font>.

<u>THANH NIEN DAILY</u> (Hanoi, Vietnam) 03 November 06 Rare amphibian found in northern Vietnam
(VNA) Biologists have found black knobby newts, an especially rare amphibian, in Vietnam’s Xuan Son National Park in the northern province of Phu Tho.
Known as ca coc san in Vietnamese, black knobby newts (Tylototriton asperrimus Unterstein) are found in China in Guangxi, Guangzhou, Anhui, Hunan, Sichuan, and Gansu provinces and Hainan island.
It is listed under Category V (Vunerable) in the IUCN Red Data Book on wildlife and Appendix II in the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
http://www.thanhniennews.com/entertaiments/?catid=6&newsid=21793

wouter

Reaction score
Very interesting, so far T. asperrimus was only known from the provinces bordering with Vietnam, this one is very near to the T. vietnamensis distribution.

And concrats on the publication of a captive T. wenxianensis photo from one of our forum members.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1