Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Volunteer field work

Do you volunteer for an amphibian monitoring program? If so, what do you do?

• Frog call surveys

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Salamander or other migration assistance

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • An annual or more frequent bioblitz

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Egg mass surveys for either salamanders or frogs

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

Lamb

Reaction score
Hey!

I've begun working with the Mississippi Amphibian Monitoring Program again as a volunteer, and it made me wonder how many other members of Caudata.org participate in similar volunteer monitoring programs (civil scientist programs). I'm also curious as to the types of programs available in other parts of the USA, and abroad. So, check out the poll, but post more information if you volunteer outside of the North American Amphibian Monitoring Program (which focuses on frog calls).

Logan

Reaction score
I don't volunteer. I currently get paid by SIUC to do chytrid surveys through most of Illinois but mainly Southern Illinois. My lab just did streckerii sampling this month. I would volunteer if I wasn't being paid though. This lab coordinates with DNR on a lot of work as well as other universities. To those volunteering I say wonderful job and keep up the good work!
Logan

Niels D

Reaction score
I'm working together with 3 other volunteers. We visit three small National Parcs a couple of times a year. We're looking for and counting all amphibians and their eggs. We also take part in programs in which native species are reintroduced to areas where they're vanished. We're also watching for sighns of American bullfrogs establishing in The Netherlands. They pose a great threat to our native species of newts, salamanders and frogs, though they're very beautiful.

Lamb

Reaction score
This is great to hear! Keep the information coming.

This is my second year with NAAMP, and this year I'm running two routes. To be honest, the first volunteer window is a bit monotonous (only peepers and leopards calling), but spring and summer windows are exciting.

I've also helped assist Ambystoma cross the Natchez Trace as they are moving to and from their breeding sites (A. maculatum and A. opacum). Unfortunately, I've only been able to do this once because I don't live within the immediate vicinity of the Trace, but I'm on the volunteer email roster. A number of other species also cross the Trace, and it can really be a blood bath when volunteers aren't available to help.

Bert

Reaction score
Helping frogs and toads crossing the roads during spring migration.

Jefferson

Reaction score
I post on the Michigan Herp Data atlas site, survey new parks for midwestern counties and cities, and am a member of the MI frog+Toad survey.

lexmiller

Reaction score
MAN!!! I would volunteer but there really isn't much in my area as far as herps go. ANd I don't have time or resources to drop everything and go to the places CNAH posts positions for. Someday I will get involved more...for now I'll just admire the adventures you all get to be a part of.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1