Question: Wasp larvae as alternative/temporary food for newt.

Bowl of seeds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Frank Rendon
Hello,
I found some Wasp Larvae today and I was wondering if it would be alright to feed them to my newts occasionally as i saw them and thought it would be a waste to just dispose of them!

thanks!!~:lick:

Im no Caudate expert, but Wasp larvae are not aquatic...
Also, I have to wonder how you ended up with wasp larvae :D:D

And imagine they pupated and matured in storage :eek:

Oh, excuse me I meant to say wasp "Grubs" well thats what came up when I googled it.
They look like fat waxworms.

I ended up with the grubs after i knocked the nest down they were still in there little honey come nest.

As long as the exoskeleton is still soft, I don't see what it would hurt. I know I would feed them to my critters if I ever got the oppurtunity.:D

As long as the exoskeleton is still soft, I don't see what it would hurt. I know I would feed them to my critters if I ever got the oppurtunity.:D

Thanks Greatwtehunter, After I read what you posted I went ahead and fed my 2 Cynops Orientalis the Wasp Grubs and they were refusing the grubs at first. Then i squished the grub so the newts can "smell" the insides :wacko:, Thereafter the newts quickly devoured 2 each!
I dont think im going to have the Grubs as a staple Diet for various reasons, One for them being so hard to obtain...:tongue:. But I think ill just use them as treats whenever I can get them.

Anyway, Thanks you too for your help It was greatly appreciated:D.

If anyone has any opinions feel free to reply I would love you hear what you have to say.

Well I'll be a Chicken's Nugget:rofl:

That's how new discoveries are made, right? :)

Haha well thats very true pal :D

Maybe it will be a new diet,:wacko: you never know!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back