Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water change mistake, stressed axie

Hoagii

Reaction score
I effed up royally. Last night I did a ~30% water change in my 30g tank, and forgot to put dechlorinater in the water (it sat for ~3hrs, but not long enough). My axolotl was acting strange, and I realized about 30min later. I added the correct amount of dechlorinater, and then some extra because I was worried. I did some googling and got the impression that I should be ok.

I got up this morning and my axolotl had those dreaded curled gills. I moved him to a 10g plastic tote with 100% fresh dechlorinated water. He's looking even worse!

I tested the water in my tank and it's still negative for ammonia. I did notice that the pH had change, likely from my overuse of conditioner last night.

I don't know what to do! It's not ammonia stress, and the chlorine is gone, but he looks horrible! Please help. I'm desperate.

Attachments

• 20180701_071910.jpg
    20180701_071910.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 221

Hayleyy

Reaction score
He should be okay and recover over the next couple of days as long as he is in dechlorinated water. He is just stressed from it. Keep his water nice and cool and you should see improvement soon. He is okay to be in his tank :)
Don't beat yourself up over it, it's always the simple things we forget!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1