Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water Changes Everyday

Reaction score
So I have a 150-160 litre tank and I have been considering doing a 8 litre water change everyday as I clean out the poop from the day before.

Would I need to add water ager for such a small change each day?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Why 8L a day? If its just a spot clean you (small amounts like 5L) you don't HAVE to add water. But if you do you should add dechlorinator and or age it regardless the quantity :) just to be safe

auntiejude

Reaction score
If I just left water in a bucket for 24 hours would that dechlorinate the water?
Probably not, assuming you have a mains water supply. Most domestic water supplies have chloramines as well as chlorine added, and standing does not remove them. You need a dechlorinator - it removes chlorine, chloramines and chelates heavy metals in tap water.

Shivermetim

Reaction score
What about a large tub with a lid filled and treated that would last a week so you would only have to deal with filling and mixing one or two days a week and I like to let treated water stand for a few days so I feel about as safe as I can get so another smaller tub for a three day span left to sit three days prior to main tub refill . Can you let water sit to long in or outside covered or not? Setting aside evaporation

Sweetie

Reaction score
The sides of the water container get slimy within a couple of days. Not sure if that makes it dangerous to use, but I wouldn't be risking it personally. I wouldn't drink it so I wouldn't put my pets into it.
Meanwhile, is it necessary to let water stand if a dechlorinator has been added? I thought that was only to get water to the same temperature as the tank. Otherwise, isn't it okay to use the water straight out of the tap (once the dechlorinator is added to the buckets of water of course)?

Shivermetim

Reaction score
Lol well I don't know if I would ever drink the water out of my tanks no matter how perfect I had it because of bacteria that is normal to them but not for me not sure though might be a good thread to start but anyways I never noticed slim growing but never thought to look so I'll check that out and I assume it takes some time for the chemical reaction to take place but im no chemist so I look to the safe over sorry when I was new to aquariums I just mixed by stirring and no waiting did a water change never had a issue but stopped after learning more about this stuff

GlowingFauxPas

Reaction score
If you call up your water supplier they'll be able to give you a water report as to whether or not there are chloramines in the water. My utility company in my area doesn't put chloramines in.

If there's chlorine and not chloramines, you don't need to wait a few days, a day should be enough. If there are chloramines, they won't go away even if you wait a few days. Treated water doesn't need to age for the prime to work.

Prime has different dosages on the bottle depending on whether there are chloramines in the water so it's a good thing to know even if you are using prime and not just relying on aged water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!