Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water changes killing newt larvae?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40430
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40430

For some reason whenever i change out the water for the newt larvae they end up dying the next day. They're kept in plastic deli cups with lids. I try to leave about 1/2 of the original water in their cups and add new water but they still end up dying. I generally would change the water if its really gross looking like if its murky or just really green. But I'm starting to think they've become more accustomed to being in the dirty water. So i just stopped changing it all together and now i just use a pipette to suck out their waste but since I've been doing that the water has gotten really low in some of the cups. Any suggestions?

Noodlethenewt

Reaction score
What species are they? Do you check the water you put in? Do you do chlorinate it? Maybe try keeping them in larger containers with smaller water changes percentage wise.

MnGuy

Reaction score
For some reason whenever i change out the water for the newt larvae they end up dying the next day. They're kept in plastic deli cups with lids. I try to leave about 1/2 of the original water in their cups and add new water but they still end up dying. I generally would change the water if its really gross looking like if its murky or just really green. But I'm starting to think they've become more accustomed to being in the dirty water. So i just stopped changing it all together and now i just use a pipette to suck out their waste but since I've been doing that the water has gotten really low in some of the cups. Any suggestions?

How big are the deli cups and are you using dechlorinator in the new water BEFORE you add it to the deli cup?

I just read a care sheet for marbled newts and it said not to change too much water for larva because it will kill them. In fact it recommended exactly what you're doing -- remove the waste with a pipette and change very small amounts (10-20%) of water at a time.

Here's that link and excerpt: Triturus marmoratus | Care-sheet | Salamanderland

"During the first month of life, scrupulous hygiene must be maintained, eliminating waste and excrement with a syringe, making minimal partial changes of water (about 10% -20%). Total water changes that would cause the death of the larvae from osmotic/chemical stress should be avoided."

I've never raised baby newts but have kept fish for decades and adult newts for several years. Large water changes can be dangerous because they can change the water chemistry too quickly.

Good luck!

MnGuy

Reaction score
They're striped newts. There's a system where we have a filter on the sink water so I'm assuming there's no chlorine in it

Filters do not remove chlorine. You need to remove chlorine with a dechlorinator.

D

Deleted member 40430

How big are the deli cups and are you using dechlorinator in the new water BEFORE you add it to the deli cup?

I just read a care sheet for marbled newts and it said not to change too much water for larva because it will kill them. In fact it recommended exactly what you're doing -- remove the waste with a pipette and change very small amounts (10-20%) of water at a time.

Here's that link and excerpt: Triturus marmoratus | Care-sheet | Salamanderland

"During the first month of life, scrupulous hygiene must be maintained, eliminating waste and excrement with a syringe, making minimal partial changes of water (about 10% -20%). Total water changes that would cause the death of the larvae from osmotic/chemical stress should be avoided."

I've never raised baby newts but have kept fish for decades and adult newts for several years. Large water changes can be dangerous because they can change the water chemistry too quickly.

Good luck!
[/QUOTE
Wow thank you so much for this info! You're literally a life saver

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I've tried raising newt larva individually in deli cups too, with mixed results. I got much better survival rates when I started keeping groups of them in ten gallon tanks with sponge filters. The only drawback to this that I've found is the risk of cannibalism, which can be minimized by keeping size classes separately, and keeping them well fed.
I was initially concerned about water changes myself, however by using prime, and changing no more than about a third of the water each time, I have yet to lose one- but occasionally, one may find itself being sucked up into the siphon.
If you find that you simply must raise them in a deli cup, you could minimize your losses by using water from a well cycled aquarium, rather than tap water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1