Water changes

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
El Duque
Hello, I am currently raising 26 two week old fry, they are all still together right now until I see aggression or they look crowded. The tub they are in is 28" x 18" and holds just under 30litres. They have some java moss to add a little security

How long could I get away with cleaning and partial changes before I should do 100% change?

Hi Tom,

This is not an area I'm comfortable with nor experienced in, but maybe if you added a small sponge filter, you could continue indefinitely without the 100% water change. I would plan on thinning them out though, maybe a second container of the same size and split the brood. I'd worry way too much about cannibalism and it's my understanding this can start once they have limbs.

Last edited:
As I said in my first post I am waiting until I see any aggression or over crowding before I begin to separate, as it is now they are all well fed and leave each other alone they all have front limbs growing.

With the height of the tubs that I have (I have 6 tubs identical size) I think a filter would create too much current they are only under-bed storage containers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back