Water chemistry

nitelyechos

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the correct water chemistry for paddletail newts?

im trying to prepare my 20 gal for two paddletails i'll be getting soon.
i just tested the water and i cant intereperet any of the results; im getting colors that arent on the little chart that came with the kit except for hardness which is 'very hard' (over 300ppm).
i think this is because ive been using the tank to grow aquatic moss,which i helped along with a co2 injection system and buffered it with limestone. the limestone probably caused the extreme hardness.
so im getting rid of that and changing the water.

what about the nitrate, nitrite, alkalinity, and ph?
can anyone tell me what i need to know to get the water right for my newts?

The extreme hardness is probably messing up the color reactions for your other tests.

Most newts are fairly tolerant of water chemistry, and paddletails are generally quite hardy. The pH should be between 6.0 and 8.0. There should be no ammonia or nitrite, except small amounts during the cycling period. Try to keep nitrate below 40 ppm. Alkalinity is not very important, but a modest amount is helpful in keeping the pH steady.

I would suggest the possibility of getting just one paddletail, as they tend to be aggressive and territorial. If you do try two, have plenty of hiding places and be prepared to separate them to different tanks if they fight.

thanks that was really helpful. turns out i had the test stick upside down:D now everything seems to be within the parameters you gave and i think im ready to go pick the newts up!!! ive got another ten gallon tank in case things go wrong, so wish me luck!

Just an FYI... in your case it probably doesn't matter, but the test strips are not generally considered adequately accurate. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back