Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water/filters

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
Hi i found out about cycling my tank after i got my 2 newts home. I cant send them back i got them of ebay. They are in a 5.5 gallon tank they are about 3 to 4 inch counting tail? How should I care for the water. I use reptisafe water conditioner and change 50% percent of water every other day. I do have small internal filter with spong and carbon but i ternd it of. I barely hade any current in water but one really didn't like it. Always scratching glass to get out for weeks.thought it was just him but he stopped when i ternd it off. Should i use air stone or sponge filter ? I have one java fern a few small moss balls . So am I going about this write? How much water and how often should i change it. Thanks

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are they Chinese firebellies? Most of the info you need is in this sticky thread, but basically your tank is way too small for aquatic newts. You really need at least ten gallons of water otherwise the temperature and water quality can be very unstable. As you've already found out, Chinese firebellies hate water movement of any kind. A gentle sponge filter or a power filter diffused through a spray bar can sometimes be ok, but in only five gallons of water even those will probably be too much.
Have a read through the links and also use the search function, there are loads and loads of threads about newly purchased pet store newts all answered in the same way. If there's anything you are unsure of after that ask away and I will help if I can. :)

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...-new-chinese-fire-belly-newts-not-eating.html

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!