Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water height?

H

hayley-jane

Hi,

Someone just reminded me to ask about this...

What height of water in their tanks do the axies like?

A guy at an aquarium place once told me that the height of water should be the same as the length of the axie in there. This is apparently because they want to be near the surface to get oxygen and if its too high they get stressed and die.

But on a different occasion at this aquarium place another guy said it can be as high as you want it and the axies don't care?

Any ideas on this?

C

cynthia

Hayley - as long as the water completely covers them they are ok. But you do not have to keep shallow water in your aquarium.

I have always kept my aquariums full to the top. I think it looks better and I like watching them swim.

If you do keep your tank full to the top or near the top you must have a good lid that covers the top completely so the axolotls can not jump out.

C

claire

well i think it should be no lower than 15cm.but the more water you have in their tank, the more water they have to swim around in.

H

hayley-jane

Thanks
happy.gif

N

nathan

Also the more water you have the easier it is to keep the water quality good

H

hayley-jane

Thanks Nathan, I didn't know that.

Is it safe just to fill it up to the top now then?

Or should the new water be cycled or something too?

A

anne-marie

Just fill it and add some de-chlorinator to the quantity you add.

G

grant

I keep my tanks water to the top as well. They seem to enjoy it a lot more than being in the shallow (they were kept in shallower plastic tubs before).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!