Water level for a young Chinese firebelly newt

Newt lover 13

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everybody,
So right now, I have 4 Chinese fire belly newts.
I recently set up a 30 gallon tall tank.i have introduced my older newts into this tank, but I am a little hesitant about putting one of the smaller newts in. I recently got him from a friend who could not take care of him. He's a good 1-2 inches, and he is aquatic and eating well. Here's the problem though. My tank is about 14 1/2 inches tall, and I am not so sure if this small newt is strong enough to be able propel itself up for air. Should I keep him in a smaller tank until he gets bigger?

Thanks,
Drake Zhao

How deep is the water? I keep my water levels at about halfway up most of my tanks. But I think he would be OK.

How big is it exactly? 1-2 inches is not precise...xD
Regardless, more important than size is tail shape. Animals adapted to a terrestrial life have narrow, rounder tails which make swimming difficult and inefficient. That can pose a serious risk of drowning since the animal can get exhausted from trying to reach the surface periodically. When they adapt to water, the tail broadens and becomes laterally compressed. At that point swimming becomes much more effective and the risk of drowning virtually disappears.

It is always a good idea to have plenty of plants near the surface, though. It´s the single most effective method of preventing drowning and it also provides the most comfortable conditions for even the strongest swimmers.

I have my filled nearly to the top of their 10g, they do have their aquatic tails though, and when they go up for air they dart up and I'm worried one of them is gonna hit the screen lid eventually ?

Hi,
To Otter woman: The water is 14 1/2 inches high. Thank you for replying.
To Azhael: The newt is, from head to tail is 2 inches. Unfortunately, I obtained the newt in poor condition and his tail was slim, almost like a lizard tail. Since then it has gotten a little larger, lateral He has grown quite adapted to water, but I am just not sure if he is ready for THIS much water.
( sorry for the late reply)
Thank you very much,
Drake Zhao

At the moment I have some juvenile C. pyrrhogaster living with their parents in a large aquarium. The smallest is about 60mm long and they can easily reach the surface to breathe. Water depth is similar to yours but they seem happy enough. There are plenty of floating plants for them to hang on to if they get tired, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back