Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

water pump system

audrey

Reaction score
I thought I would post a few picks of my different water moving systems. This first one is my water filling pump.
My hubby just hooked a pond pump up to hoses. Now I can fill all my tanks from my buckets of aged, dechlorinated water. The water is always the right temp and never causes a lot of current in the tanks this way!
Then I use one of those filler hoses that you can buy at almost any aquatic store, or even walmart. It is great!
The last is just the normal gravel vacuum hooked up to a gas syphoning pump. This makes it so that you can start it easily even in low water aquariums - and also you never have to start it by sucking the tank water into your mouth!- hated that!

Attachments

• watersystem1.jpg
    watersystem1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 321
  • watersystem5.jpg
    watersystem5.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 267
  • watersystem6.jpg
    watersystem6.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 285
  • fillerhose3.jpg
    fillerhose3.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 268
  • fillerhose2.jpg
    fillerhose2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 278
  • fillerhose.jpg
    fillerhose.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 277
  • watersuctionpump.jpg
    watersuctionpump.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 384

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Snazzy setup there. I always thought about doing something like that when I had more aquatic tanks.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Quite an elaborate set-up...very nice and quite a number of tanks!

I may try to use your gas syphon set-up for cleaning my fish aquaria (I only keep terrestrial caudates). I always use a Python gravel cleaner that is attached to a water faucet to create a vacuum. Depending on where you live and the water pressure, this can be hit or miss. Your method would be a great alternative.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the first photo, I assume this is showing the moving of water from the clear tub into the bucket as an example? Is there any way to control the on/off flow of water other than plugging/unplugging the pump?

Where did you buy the siphon bulb? I have an old siphon with a similar bulb, purchased many years ago as an aquarium siphon, but I never see these in pet shops any more. Your type comes from an automotive store perhaps??

Neat set of photos, thanks!

audrey

Reaction score
Hi Jen,
You do plug the pump in to start and stop it but while you are working you can just leave the spout in the bucket the pump is in and it will just continue to cycle that water until you are ready to fill something. When the water in the bucket gets low you just pour another bucket of water into it. When I am done filling, I unplug the pump and take it out of the water so that the small metal part on it doesn't rust.
The gas syphon hose I bought at walmart in the automotive section for less than $4. You have to attach it to the vacuum yourself but it isn't that hard.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1