Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water temperature

Sadie777

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m concerned my axolotol tank keeps sitting at 21degrees
Would love some suggestions on how to lower the temperature , happy to buy them what ever they need to be happy

WaterLily05

Reaction score
I set up a desk fan blowing across the top of the tank. Watch the temp, it should lower it a couple degrees over a few hours. If it lowers it too much, you can lower the fan speed or have it not blowing so directly over the tank. You want it to be consistent!

AMurry24537

Reaction score
I agree with above, fans are great! They work especially well if there isn't much moisture in the air (they cool through evaporation, and the water is more willing to go into "dry" air), so to help it along, you can also get some form of dehumidifier. No need to go high-tech with these.

Along the same vein of thought, you can also help the cooling process considerably by doing what you can to lower the surrounding room temperature by using some form of air conditioning. Also, putting the aquarium on the floor (as opposed to a stand) will drop the temp by a couple degrees, and, if you have a multi-floor living space, keeping the tank on a lowest floor will also help considerably.

I personally also use an appropriate number of ice probe chillers. They're not as effective as actual chillers, but are available at prices that are like, 30% or less of any other chiller and cause no flow issues. I use a temperature controller to keep track of the equipment and turn on and off as necessary.

In an emergency, you can also use frozen water bottles to decrease the water temperature, but don't rely on it for consistent use, since the sudden temperature swings can cause stress for your axolotls.

I can give links to any of the equipment above (most if not all are available on Amazon) that you're possibly interested in and also answer questions if you have any.

Kate1018

Reaction score
My axie tank rose to 70F. infrared thermometer needed new batterie & failed. I froze small water bottles & they are doing well. i believe temp drop rate can be controlled by ice volume. I will investigate the ice probes mentioned here. New to me. I have dogs & couldn’t possibly place tank on floor. It’s in the coolest room here.

Kate1018

Reaction score
I set up a desk fan blowing across the top of the tank. Watch the temp, it should lower it a couple degrees over a few hours. If it lowers it too much, you can lower the fan speed or have it not blowing so directly over the tank. You want it to be consistent!
My secondhand axie setup came with an aquarium fan I’ve yet to try
1B7ECE1A-1C79-40DB-8015-04EF1A12F82B.jpeg

Kate1018

Reaction score
I did attach it. Had to remove the hood. saw YouTube girl saying keep hood off to increase evaporation & cooling, so all good. She had some small desk fan over her tank.
Orderly properly fitting Screen lid. Saw a $65 tank chiller at Walmar.com. Will check it more later. Getting cool here, snow soon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1