Water treatment.

Hanna09

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am not going to lie. I have had Mixi 3 years now, since she was juvenile. I have NEVER had one issue with her at all! I also have NEVER checked water perimeters, or used any kind of water treatments. Always have used tap water, which is what I call 'city water', seeing as how I grew up on 'well water'. I always just made sure temp stayed in range of 68-72 (usually at 70). She has always been a happy as can be little 'lotl. always swimming, hunting the cats around the room, eating&pooping like an elephant. PERFECT.

Within the past few days (Wednesday to now, to be exact) she has developed what I and a person I have been in contact with about her, have decided is a fungus on her gills. It's white and appears to be deteriorating her gills. I have her in the fridge, she is just hitting 24hours in there.

Now, my question is; Is there a water treatment I can use on her tank, as I do believe this is a problem due to water. I am meaning something I can pick up at my local pet stores.

I am really hoping I don't receive a ton of negativity from this. I understand I should always know water perimeters, but she has ALWAYS been fine until now. This could also be the doing of contaminated feeder fish... or it could never be solved!

Thank you in advance, I do not get around here right away.

If it's white and fluffy then it's fungus. Fungus spores are in the air so can get in tank at any time. Fridging won't help...just slows everything down, can you put her in shallow water and remove fungus with tweezers or cotton buds? If not read up on mild salt baths. Indian almond leaves are mildly antiseptic. In a healthy axolotl the fungus may go anyway...just keep an eye on her.

Indian Amond leaves available at TA-Aquaculture. From what I have read it tends to be warm weather that causes fungus and the water being consequently too warm. Try keeping water cooler using bottles filled with ice.

To treat the water just go to a pet store and get prime... Its a water conditioner that takes out the chlorine and such... since your little lotl has been happy you probably just have chlorine in your water. That does go away with time, but it helps to use a conditioner. :) good luck with your little one

Thank you for all the replies! I have these photos for you to see.

Attachments

• 1437106833783.jpg
    1437106833783.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 1437106853690.jpg
    1437106853690.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 1437106896818.jpg
    1437106896818.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 184
  • 1437106914912.jpg
    1437106914912.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 1437106954291.jpg
    1437106954291.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 187
That's a serious infection. How long has this been going on? Fridging isn't going to help in this case, I'd procure some IAL and give your puppy some baths with it in cool, clean, dechlorinated water to see if that will reduce it, although if it resists you may need a salt bath. You really should get a testing kit because that looks like something caused by bad water quality over time.

Dechlorinate the tap water when you do water changes. Clean the biofilter. Add 1 tablespoon of aquarium, marine, rock salt, or non iodized salt per 10 gallons of water for normal care. If condition worsens treat with furan 2. Methylene blue can also be used for fungus but it will crash your filter and stain things.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back