Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Waxworms to moths

snuggly time

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know how long a waxworm stays in its caterpillar stage? I have a big moth and butterfly phobia, so I don't want any flying out at me. :errr:

Mine are kept at room temperature, the only cooler place is the fridge. I don't normally keep them but currently trying to get my axolotl to eat again so thought I'd give them a go.

Thanks.

Niels D

Reaction score
They need warmer temperatures to succesfully transform. Of course they make a cocoon first, so if you find these you can feed these first as long as they're fresh. You can tell this by the fact that they move a little once you pick them up. Black ones or dark coloured ones have gone bad and need to be avoided as a food item.

snuggly time

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm going to move them to a see-through tub so I can keep an eye on them! He just ate an earthworm for the first time in almost 3 weeks, so perhaps didn't need them after all, hehe. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!