Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ways to feed?

Dreamcatcher

Reaction score
Hi. Recently I found myself inheriting a juvenile albino axie. For now I'm keeping her in a different tank to my adult that I've had for a few years now. I am wondering about the best ways to feed her bloodworms (I've always fed larger worms to my adult)... I asked the petstore when I was buying her food and they said to just drop a frozen cube into the tank however I think alot more would go to waste then would be eaten. The last few times I've fed her I've dropped one worm in front of her at a time which is difficult to get her to eat and is very time consuming. Does anybody have any methods that may be easier?
Thanks in advance.,.

sebguy

Reaction score
If their in frozen cube form then you could cut the cube into half's or thirds and then feed her by hand?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Frozen food needs to be defrosted before it is fed to axies. If you use a turkey baster and a feeding jar.dish it makes a little less mess, but feeding the right amount reduces waste and mess. It will take you a short while to figure out how much to feed.

officerPuckles

Reaction score
When I feed frozen bloodworms and shrimp to my Lotls I will cut the cube in half, put it in the water so it starts to defrost and then once its still kind of in a shape I can hold onto, I will put it in front of there mouths and hold it until they chomp it.

With Puckles I have a feeding dish in her tank, so I can drop frozen food into the dish and she always finds it. This way there wont be leftovers to sit around and foul the water, I can just take the dish with leftovers in it, out and rinse it.

My guys are gluttons though, and I don't think I have EVER seen them leave behind extras.

AxolotlManiac

Reaction score
I found bloodworm super messy, so I used a feeding jar.

Using a jar big enough for your axie to fit in, make sure no glue/sticky labels are still on the jar and it thoroughly rinsed a few times, (I use boiling water), put it into the water, put the bloodworm into the jar - then your all set ?

leiafee

Reaction score
Bloodworm is one of the few things mine will both to sniff out. I defrost the turkeybaster it in, getting enough bang in front of his nose to get him started looking for the rest of it. Takes him a while but seems to keep him entertained trolling round the tank slurping it all up over the next hour!

Some bits do get missed though so I normally only feed it the day before a waterchange and siphoning!

LiliTi

Reaction score
I have a juvie (only 5 weeks or so) myself who I was feeding bloodworms too. Rather than stress mine out by moving her (which is a great practice!) I used clean snake tongs to pick up a healthy amount of the worms and held them in front of her and she ate them with little fallout or residue. So maybe try some long reptile tongs if you prefer to feed in tank? Of course I thawed each cube when doing this and until I switched her to chopped earthworms, it worked quite well.
Hope this helped!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1