Weird bug in my axolotl egg tank

Lovelylotls

Reaction score
Country
Canada
As I was looking for babies to separated to containers I saw this bug sitting there and I scooped it up because I wasn’t sure what it is, or what it’ll do to the eggs, any ideas on what it is?

Attachments

• 60817083515__C7E283BE-415D-42FB-BAE4-EDF2D800C099.MOV
    462.4 KB
As I was looking for babies to separated to containers I saw this bug sitting there and I scooped it up because I wasn’t sure what it is, or what it’ll do to the eggs, any ideas on what it is?
Not sure if you can see the video or not, I’ll add some photos

I can see the video, but it's very hard to get a good look at the bug.
I see it's short, has six legs and big eye bulbs - which makes me think Damselfly nymph.
Does it look like how Google Images says a damselfly nymph looks?

If so, damselfly eggs often hitchhike on plants and live food from aquarium stores. The nymphs are predators and can often survive on little critters living in the aquarium. To adult axolotls they are harmless (though the axolotls might eat them if they manage to spot them).
For larvae or very young juveniles, however, they can be dangerous. In general, the damselfly nymphs can eat anything that is the same size as them or smaller.
They are pretty cool to have in an adult axolotl tank - but I would keep them away from the hatchlings.

Thank you, I ended up taking it out of the tank just to be sure :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back