Weird horn thing growing on tail

Kirzzin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
They are about 5 months old now, and my Lucifer had a strange bend in his tail and the other two don't. Today I noticed there was a horn looking thing growing out of it. Should I be alarmed?? Water temperature is always kept constant under 20 they are fed once a day with newt pellets and blood worms..

hard to get pictures of him, he's always on the go, especially during feeding time hahaha

IMG7831.jpg

IMG7872.jpg

IMG7857.jpg

I can't really see the growth on his tail too clearly but it kind of looks like his tail was damaged and it is a bit of his tail hanging off or healed oddly. Check your parameters for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH and ensure good water quaity. Is your tank cycled?

I believe this is a finger. Or at least a little finger-like growth where there has been a minor injury. It happens sometimes, nothing to worry about.

I believe this is a finger. Or at least a little finger-like growth where there has been a minor injury. It happens sometimes, nothing to worry about.

Thank you so much! That's what I told my boyfriend! It felt like a finger growing out. I feel relieved : ):happy::happy:

My 2 year old axie has one too, when I got him they lady hadn't kept him and his siblings separate so they had eaten parts off each other so I think it might be from him healing. I've always kind of liked it, a small imperfection like a mole. Nothing to be concerned about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back