Weird Tank Cycling? No ammonia

kroezen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, I moved my axolotls into my 33 gallon aquarium (it has around 20 gallons of water in it) around a week ago. I've been checking for ammonia every day since then but never picked up any (the water in the test tube is always clear). I find this weird.
For over 2 weeks before I put the axolotls in, the tank had been running with its filter (a sponge filter) and every now and then I would dump the "red water" left in the container I defrosted my blood worms in, but never tested the tank. I added the "red water" at random, and it was only the run-off from a few cubes.
Today I tested for ammonia, and yet again it came up with nothing. So I tested for Nitrites and Nitrates and found that they were up. The nitrites were at 6 ppm and the nitrates were at 80 pmm.
Is it possible the tank has cycled that far already? I've never picked up any ammonia in the tank and when I previously tested for nitrites/nitrates it came up with next to none.

The Ph is at 7 in case that matters

Can anyone help out?

I think the nitrites and nitrates are too high, Did you do partial water change already?

Are the axies in that tank? If they are I would remove them, that reading is very toxic.

Oh my gosh, I forgot to mention that I had taken them out of the tank after getting those readings. Right now the two of them are in plastic containers. I haven't done a water change yet (it was late when I got the readings) but I will definitely do one now!

EDIT:
I just did a 50% water change and the nitrates dropped to 40ppm, but the nitrites seem to still be the same; 3 ppm...
Should I change more water or wait for them to fall on their own?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back