Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What are these?

marivan

Reaction score
I put some live plants in my tank about a year or so ago and they are doing okay, but I think I got these weird slug like creatures from one of them. What are they and are they dangerous for my axolotl? I suck some up when cleaning the tank, but can't possibly get all of them. They seem to be everywhere.
In the meantime, a growth that she had on her belly seems to have healed itself and she seems healthy.

Attachments

• slugs.mp4
    3.4 MB · Views: 0

marivan

Reaction score
I will try to get one. I thought that the mp4 would show, but I see it is just black.
worms1.jpg
worms2.jpg
worms3.jpg

marivan

Reaction score
Hello all, they are about 1/4" or slightly smaller (5cm) and they are like snails in that they crawl along the glass and any rocks etc. I looked up planaria and yes, that is what they are. They must have come in off a plant. Are they harmful to my axolotl? I thought they looked like something that she would like to eat! Thank you all for your replies.

JM29

Reaction score
Definitively Planaria (possibly genus Dugesia with this trigonic head).
Planaria are often carried with aquatic plants. They lay eggs cocoons glued on the plants and sometimes difficult to notice.
Planaria eat organic matter of animal origin. Some species are predators of small animals.
Caudates eggs can be eaten by Planaria but there is usually no dammage to larvae and adult caudates.

marivan

Reaction score
Definitively Planaria (possibly genus Dugesia with this trigonic head).
Planaria are often carried with aquatic plants. They lay eggs cocoons glued on the plants and sometimes difficult to notice.
Planaria eat organic matter of animal origin. Some species are predators of small animals.
Caudates eggs can be eaten by Planaria but there is usually no dammage to larvae and adult caudates.
Well my Axolotl is 9" long and she isn't having babies, so I guess she should be okay? I read that I need to make sure that there isn't left over food in the tank and they will die off if there isn't enough food for them. I just wanted to make sure that Bonnie (Axi) won't be affected by them. Definitely got them with a plant. Darn. Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1