What color is my axolotl?

axolotlfreak56

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had posted a thread about this quite some time ago but I can't seem to find the link anywhere. I was told that it was an axanthic albino, and after reading aboub them, they tend to become yellow with age. But now that he/she got bigger, its starting to look like my golden albino. So...was it just a golden albino or axanthic? I notice it has the same shiny flecks around the tail like my golden albino.
And also, sorry about the poor quality of the photos. My phone sucks, so I took them into photoshop and increased the color a bit since my phone dulls out the color on nearly every picture. The golden albino gfp is the lone one (due to a much needed salt bath, but he'll be fine :) ). The leucistic(who has outgrown all of my babies and was born before the axie in question and even has outgrown it as well) and the one in question are in the next photo for comparison. The one in question isn't nearly as yellow as my golden albino. But obviously its not leucistic. And again, I noticed the shiny flecks that it has on its tail.

Attachments

• golden.png
    golden.png
    494.4 KB · Views: 490
  • axanthic.png
    axanthic.png
    464.4 KB · Views: 830
To me it looks golden... have u checked to see if it glows under a blacklight? My gfps are slightly a different color like urs but they glow under a blacklight.

To me it looks golden... have u checked to see if it glows under a blacklight? My gfps are slightly a different color like urs but they glow under a blacklight.

I'd have to agree GFPs tend to have a different tint than non-GFP axolotls

Have you shined a light at the eyes to see if there is a refelctive ring? It may be a melanoid gold.

I had posted a thread about this quite some time ago but I can't seem to find the link anywhere. I was told that it was an axanthic albino, and after reading aboub them, they tend to become yellow with age. But now that he/she got bigger, its starting to look like my golden albino. So...was it just a golden albino or axanthic? I notice it has the same shiny flecks around the tail like my golden albino.
And also, sorry about the poor quality of the photos. My phone sucks, so I took them into photoshop and increased the color a bit since my phone dulls out the color on nearly every picture. The golden albino gfp is the lone one (due to a much needed salt bath, but he'll be fine :) ). The leucistic(who has outgrown all of my babies and was born before the axie in question and even has outgrown it as well) and the one in question are in the next photo for comparison. The one in question isn't nearly as yellow as my golden albino. But obviously its not leucistic. And again, I noticed the shiny flecks that it has on its tail.

Have you shined a light at the eyes to see if there is a refelctive ring? It may be a melanoid gold.

Yeah its eyes have that reflective ring. And the smaller one isn't gfp. The bigger one is.

I think golden albino.
As far as i can remember axanthics dont have irrediphores.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back