Photo: What color is my little guy?

Aquacraze

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alicia
Hey, does anyone know what color this little guy would be considered? I'm pretty sure it's not melanoid. Maybe wild type?

000_0878111.jpg

000_0879111.jpg

000_0881222.jpg

000_0883111.jpg

000_0884222.jpg

Let me know what you think :happy:

Thanks in advance,
Alicia

I think he could be a wild type, going from the dark spots he seems to have.

he's also missing his feet! I trust that you are looking after this little gem so he grows all his feet back. and those nostrils!

I think he could be a wild type, going from the dark spots he seems to have.

he's also missing his feet! I trust that you are looking after this little gem so he grows all his feet back. and those nostrils!

Oh ok, that's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to make sure lol. Thank you!

Yea...poor little guy. I didn't realize I accidently put two different axies on here...oops. I got these a few days ago, and that one came with no feet. :( I'm just hoping that they'll grow back fine so he can have his little toes back.

I love his nostrils!!

if you keep feeding him, and keep the water clean and clear, you shouldn't have any issues.

Looks like wildtype/melanoid on a 50/50

he has wildtype patterns and slight colouration with alot of melanoid pigmentation, he also has wildtype fluffy red gills by the looks of it XD

Well thats my opinion anyway :)

if you keep feeding him, and keep the water clean and clear, you shouldn't have any issues.

Oh ok good...yea he eats like a little piggy. I make sure I clean all my axie tanks every day. :D

Looks like wildtype/melanoid on a 50/50

he has wildtype patterns and slight colouration with alot of melanoid pigmentation, he also has wildtype fluffy red gills by the looks of it XD

Well thats my opinion anyway :)

That's interesting. I never realized that there were so many different color variations until recently. It seems like each one has different color patterns. I love 'em all, lol.

color= cuteness!!!!

OMG I want him... he's adorable

He's CUTE, thats what!

+1 vote for loving those adorable little nostrils ^_^ You got a goodun there!

He seems to have some gold flecks around on pic 2 - so wildtype.

(ps: those little bits of gravel in the last pic - are they stuck down?)

He's CUTE, thats what!

+1 vote for loving those adorable little nostrils ^_^ You got a goodun there!

He seems to have some gold flecks around on pic 2 - so wildtype.

(ps: those little bits of gravel in the last pic - are they stuck down?)

Thank you!! :D

That gravel is actually inside a DIY filter that I made, and they can't get inside to get at it.

He's a melanoid. Check for the ring aroung the eye: if it's shiny, wildtype. If it's absent, melanoid.

He's a melanoid. Check for the ring aroung the eye: if it's shiny, wildtype. If it's absent, melanoid.

Ahhh - so do wildtypes always have the gold ring around the eyes?

So those flecks that I thought might be gold, or they could just be yellowy bits, can a melanoid have gold flecks elsewhere on it's body, but as long as they have no shiny eye, they're melanoid?

Ahhh - so do wildtypes always have the gold ring around the eyes?

So those flecks that I thought might be gold, or they could just be yellowy bits, can a melanoid have gold flecks elsewhere on it's body, but as long as they have no shiny eye, they're melanoid?

The 1st thing I noticed was the irridiophoric (okay, so I made that word up!) spots + thought that it must be wild-type :confused:
After scrolling back up + checking again though, I think they must just be lighter areas.

I think we can all agree its a purple one ;)

My melanoid was the same color when he was little.

Melanoids aren't lacking in xanthophores (yellow pigment). It's just highly reduced. So they can still have yellow spots. They are lacking iridophores, so they'll never have shiny spots.

Wildtypes will always have the gold-shiny eye ring, and melanoids will never have it.

Thanks for the info everyone. I went back and looked closer at the two of them, and one of them does have a shiny ring around his eyes, but the other one doesn't. Other than their eyes, they both look almost identical!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back