What color? It's changed so much...

Nessie7

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I have a little mystery on my hands.

Let's start at the beginning:
My wildtype female had eggs with a GFP albino male.
The eggs hatched at about 10 days (I think maybe 11).
There were 150 or so total.
I ended up with a lot of issues (one of them even had two heads) and currently have 12 surviving.

You may have seen my other post on "very dirty lucies". These are just a few examples and not my strangest.

But, let me see if anyone can come up with a color for this little one (Yes, the pictures are all of the same axolotl).

On July 29th, 2016 I took pictures of each of my little axolotls. They were all around an inch long. Notice in this picture how there are 6 wilds and 8 lucies. None of which look even close to the one in question. Certainitly, the one in question is in the bunch somewhere but as of this point there has been no color major color changes.

Which little one this unknown color started out as I have no idea. These pictures were taken before I had to sperate them all.

Each little one was given its own container a few weeks later. It was at that point that I started noticing a change. One of the axolotls hidden in the corner was becoming darker. I pointed it out to my family and friends, surprised at how it was changing. None of the others were.

Eventually I posted pictures of a few of my favorites to a facebook group. The amount of likes and comments and people asking if I would sell it shocked me. I did consider the first offer, it was a really good offer, but then I decided to ask the breeder that I originally bought my axolotl from. She advised me to keep it and see how it turns out. We all knew I had something special but we weren't sure quite how special. We ended up deciding that it would likely end up as either a Piebald or a Harlequin.

Here are those pictures taken on August 23rd, 2016.

Here it is in normal lighting (I was using the flash on my camera)

And so, time went on. I noticed it darkening more and more each week. Finally, a month later, I decided it was time for new pictures. I hadn't taken a closer look at it for a long time. The tank is on the floor and not the greatest lit tank. All I'd do is feed it a few times a day.

What I saw shocked me.

Yes. It's the same axolotl. It's been in its own covered 10 gallon tank. All alone.

So, what do you think? It doesn't even look like a wild at all and it certainly didn't start off as a wild. It started off with the colors of a dirty lucy! Even my normal dirty lucies are so much more spotted than many of the ones I've ever seen.

Thoughts? Please? I've heard piebald, harlequin, enigma, mosaic, chimera (which I know it's not)... I've heard them all.

Of course, I know it might not stay looking like this but for now what do you think?

That is just way too cool! Is it just me or do it's gills look smallish?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back