Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What colour is your axolotl?

C

carrie

Axolotls come in many attractive colours. It would be interesting to see what are the most preferred colours. My personal favorite is white (with black eyes). I have 3 juvenile axolotls at this moment: white, golden albino & chocolate brown wild type.

C

clare

I have a male and female ( axel and lottie )
She is Black and very pretty. He is Dark brownish /green. Wild colour I suppose? *shrugs. He reminds me of a muppet LOL

B

buttercup

I have a golden albino named Buttercup and a black named Midnight. Just before i wrote this e-mail Buttercup had her funeral (she died) and Midnight is going crazy with grief and won't eat...Help!

D

david

I have two green/black/silver wild looking ones but would like to get some golden albinos, where can you get such wonders and what would happen if they bred with the wild coloured animals?

N

nemisis

Wild type is the dominant genotype for 'lotls so if you bred leucistic/albino/golden with the black ones, you'd end up with mostly black
happy.gif

J

john

It's not that simple. You need to know what the genetics is of all the animals, particularly the wildtypes, otherwise it's just guess work.

Wild type isn't a "dominant genotype" - it's a phenotype. Look at the genetics page of my web site:

http://www.caudata.org/axolotl/genetics.htm

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"'Wild type' is used to describe either the genotype or phenotype."

Lewin, B. Genes V. Oxford University Press, 1995, page 59.

When it is a wild type animal, it's a phenotype. When it's a wild type allele, it's half of a genotype. I think it is perfectly accurate to say that wild type is the dominant genotype.

J

john

Oh my. Semantics ahoy *G*. I want to say right now that this is silly, but here we go...

I was contradicting Nemisis because he/she called wild type the "dominant genotype". By definition, a genotype is at least one set of alleles. A set of alleles could only be described as the "dominant genotype" if referring to a population in which that particular genotype was found in most individuals in that population, i.e. making it dominant (note not dominant in the sense of dominant versus recessive, rather in that it predominates). Any other usage just doesn't make sense.

For the purposes of Nemisis' discussion, wildtype can only be used to describe the phenotype because the genotype is indeterminate and may not reflect the true wild type genotype, i.e. that genotype found in the majority of the wild population. Therefore, wild type can only be used to refer to the phenotype in captive animals unless we know their genotype. So going by Lewin, that nice big heavy book that every one uses for genetics, yes, wildtype can describe a genotype, but it describes a specific genotype, a pair (or pairs) of two alleles that is found in the larger part of the wild population.

Now, if Nemisis had said the wild type allele is dominant, that makes sense, given that the wild type allele in albinism is A, rather than a, D rather than d for the developmental pigmentation mutation, M rather than m for melanism and Ax rather than ax for axanthicism.

Any way, I'm arguing semantics/technicalities. Hehe. Jenn, you're the one with the M.Sc. in Biology ;), not I.

John

C

crysti-lei

i have a white axolotl called Spooks, a gold one called Peppe and two blacks (well i think they are, they might be that wildtype that keeps coming up, cause they have brownish speckles) they are called Stubs and Mr.Sock. My Boyfroend has two golden ones, Jubjub and MudPuppy. i'd have to say my favourite looking one is Spooks because not only is he white but he has blue eyes.

T

tonymarinara

I have 2 gray wild types....flotsam and jetsam...Theyre great

al

Reaction score
I have a pair of wild types and a pair of leucistic. I kept them together and had one female lay eggs. I first thought it was the wild type, but to my surprise all the larva are leucistic.

D

denver

I have a nice pair of Leucistics with heavy spotting on their heads and upper backs. Also have xanthics, white albinos and wild types.

Eagerly in search of piebalds or harlequins!

Reward available for info!

Young larva available in all these colors!

C

cloth_kitten

I have 5 wildtype,2 leucistic,1 white albino and 1 golden albino.

R

raoul

I have one leucistic axolotl named Iio .Who is busy regenerating two of her legs at immense speed . Her gills are not showing the same enthusiasm ,they should regenerate ,shouldnt they ?

H

henk

Well I have one gold female, about 12 adult wildtype, 2 brown ones with black dots (camel brown, looking a bit like A. andersoni) and 4 animals that are wildcolored but which have golden/brown patches peaking through the darkcolor, making them somewhat unusual. They are offpsring of such a camelborwn animal with a wild colored specimen. I 'm currently crossbreeding this form with the golden female and the first white eggs are there. I also have one animal that has many black round dots all over the body one a more brown/purplish background (unusual and nice).

So as you may already have guessed : I'm trying to see if I can get new color lines ... The main part of the anmials are set outside in gardenponds.I intend to raise as many of this crossbreeding as possible.

A

amanda

im only 11 and this is my first axolotl it is very exiting i have one axolotl she/he has grown very quickly since we got her/him. she/he is golden and her/his name is Amber.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!