• Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!
  • Welcome to Caudata.org, the Newt & Salamander Information Portal.

    We are the longest running community for amphibian enthusiasts on the Internet. Our primary goal is the sharing of information on the maintenance and breeding of newts and salamanders in captivity.

    Right now you are viewing our community as a guest. This gives you limited access to our forum and resources. For example, your ability to view conversations in our "Advanced Topics" section is restricted, and guests can view but not respond to "for sale" or "want" ads. Join our free community and get full access, post questions, your own photo albums, message other members, and other features. Registration is fast, simple and totally free so please, click the register link today! Problem? Please use the contact link at the bottom of the page.

    For care info, Caudata Culture is the site for you. Axolotls? The Axolotl Site is the best on the net.

What do caudata owners do for a living?

suztor

Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
182
Reaction score
2
Points
18
Location
AZ
Country
United States
Is there a personality profile that fits the caudata owner?

Social groups we fit?

Do we end up in a handful of professional categorys?

I'm a big people watcher so I wonder these things all the time.

So to start:

I'm a 25 y/o Graphic Designer living in a small college town called Flagstaff, AZ, usa
 
I think if there's one thing we all have in common it's a certain tendency toward geekdom :)
 
I'am 15 years old and I go to highschool lol.Oh yeaa and I work at a petstore.
 
I was just talking to James about this the other day, I frequently wonder who everyone is I speak with on caudata, it's interesting to learn more about the people we interact with daily on here without knowing anything about them.

I'm 25, I do accounting for a large retail company in RI, and live in mass. The details of my job will put me to sleep, so i'll spare you. I lurk caudata periodically throughout the slow days, don't know where I'd be if this forum wasn't here! Probably . .working. ;] On the weekends I play shows with my band and hang out with my gf. That's all i got for now!
 
I'm a journeyman cnc machinist and professional(?) amphibian breeder.
 
I work 2 days a week doing admin and teaching adults. In my spare time I help out in a pet shop and obsess over my newts, depending on whether I'm in town or at home
 
I am a graduate student studying towards my PhD. I used to work part time at a fish store, but I mostly tutor undergrads, teach labs, and do research.
 
I'm currently a housewife with four children. I have worked as a retail training manager, security admin manager and a retail manager before I started reproducing. I then worked as a teaching assistant with primary school children for a while before having my youngest son. I suspect I am one of these people that need to be looking after/ caring for something .
 
Im thirty nine, married, english lit. and psychology graduate, boring job so put all my energy into my amphibians and fish, debt free because i was considered a poor credit risk lol dodged that bullet.
 
I'm a biologist and teach at a rural branch of the University of Alaska. My research specialty are ecology and behavior of Arctic ungulates, mostly muskoxen and caribou/reindeer. I spent several years of my life, in all seasons, following them around on the tundra recording their foraging and social behavior.

I also teach classes both face to face and via distance delivery; mainly pre-nursing classes like Anatomy and Physiology, and some fun stuff like Mammals of Alaska etc...
 

Attachments

  • 2M3FSept.jpg
    2M3FSept.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_5631.jpg
    IMG_5631.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 322
  • old cow.jpg
    old cow.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 339
Both my gf and I are police officers and we're 29 years old. I'm also singing in a rockband. I do a lot of herping and monitoring in a national park. As for the other geeky stuff.... I love gardening, play Magic the Gathering now and then, I'm obsessed with cleaning the house and I've got a big collection of cult movies.

Oh yeah, at this moment it's 02.30 nighttime in the Netherlands and I'm on a forum about newts and salamanders. :bowl:
 
I'm loving this! keep it coming!

@Molch - yes yes the geekyness is definitely a key factor... I myself am a big scifi fan (loooooove stargate!), Anime, some manga, Starcraft etc. and I make stupid comments with far out connections like "oh! so like a chimera!?" (in a FMA reference) when someone tells me that in their dream of how somone was 2 ppl at once... I like to think of myself as a Closet metal head geek :D

Me and my dad when we say goodbye do the Vulcan live long an prosper hand thing.:cool: I've also considered learning Klingon...

@xxianxx - debt free is definitely the way to be!

So far we are all over the place in what we do for a living!
 
I'm a nurse on the psychiatric wing of a hospital.
Chip
 
I'm an ecologist, I work mainly with roadside habitat. I s'pose I too am also a massive geek. Nope that's not quite right... I am a massive geek no s'pose about it.
 
I'm a single mum of three (my kids are responsible for getting me into axolotls), working P/T as a PA (mostly writing letters, reviewing website content, organising conferences and generally making the boss look good), whilst studying Psychology by distance ed.

Apart from 4 beautiful axies and over 100 babies on the way, we also have 2 goldfish, 3 rabbits, 3 chooks, 3 cats (can you tell I've got 3 kids??), 2 dogs and a compost worm farm... good grief, that even looks ridiculous to me :eek:

I love growing plants, looking after creatures... just generally watching living things in their element. I have an almost pathological inability to say 'no' where animals are concerned. Hopefully, when I run out of physical space (not too far off!), I'll find it easier to say that elusive little word... :eek:

Oh, and I find this forum incredibly addictive, and never-endingly useful! Thanks to everyone for your enthusiasm, commitment and (the big one) patience... ;)
 
I suposse i should say something else other than making it clear that i am indeed a geek.
I´m a student of Biology with intention of specializing in herpetology (who´d have guessed?)...if i ever finish my degree, that is....i spend most of my free time watching and re-watching foreign tv-series, movies and documentaries, reading, thinking, listening to metal and 80`s music, looking at my animals go about their lives and thinking about what i can make for my next meal. I also crochet and knit...which is specially funny if i´m listening to some metal band at the time. \m/ \m/
I have the remnants of a social life, but it´s as geeky as my private life, really...most of my friends are giant nerds.
I´m a sucker for british comedy (The Black Adder, Fry&Laurie, French&Saunders, etc, etc...) but i´m also a more traditional geek (Stargate, Buffy, Xena, The Simpsons -only up to season 12-, 3rd rock from the sun...). I don´t really have a criterion anymore, i´ll watch anything as far as it´s in english and it doesn´t make my eyes or my brain hurt too much, and even then my level of tolerance keeps getting higher because i really do watch a lot of ****....

I suposse i´m a living stereotype...a geeky biologist that listens to metal. I feel so special right now..
 
Last edited:
I'm a molecular biologist and scientific editor. But the amphibians are gradually taking over my life:eek:
 
the amphibians are gradually taking over my life:eek:

Don´t lie, Jen, they have owned you for years...:p
I need to get myself a t-shirt with an image of a giant newt in an epic pose stomping a human, and the text "I surrender to my overlord and i suggest you do the same".
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!
    Back
    Top