Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What does it mean when blackworms are trying to get out?

P

patrick

I have my blackworms in a few plastic containers in my newt fridge so that they are only half an inch deep, and then I have about a half inch of water above them so that the overall water depth is about an inch. I rinse them out every day until the water is clear.

Sometimes when I go to rinse them there is a little trail of worms crawling up the side of the container. What does this mean? Should I rinse them more often?

J

jennifer

Mine do that too. I don't know what it means, it seems fairly random whether they climb or not.

D

deborah

I culture blackworms and usually when they start trying to get out, its a signal that there is about to be a mass die-off, so I do a thorough water change...

I don't keep mine refrigerated, though, because it prevents them from breeding. It's a bit harder to culture them outside of the fridge but I've been experimenting with various techniques for about two years, and have been culturing them successfully for some time now.

When they start crawling up the sides of the container I do a very thorough water-change, get rid of any that are dead or even slightly necrotic, and thoroughly scrub the container, bubbler, etc.

After that, I give them a fresh brown paper bag to munch on and they are usually fine.

Dunno if that helps. good luck with your blackworms!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1