Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What happens to all of these eggs?

kaixingin

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm a biology major and a medical student so I'm asking this purely out of curiosity and no judgment! I'm new to axolotl-keeping and I noticed that people seem to be very eager to relinquish accidental parents of hundreds of eggs or even babies regardless of morph. While I'm glad that these babies will have somewhere to go, it has gotten me curious as to what the most common reason for that is? To properly house so many babies seems almost unfeasible so is it for selling? For research? Just simply out of good will?

kaixingin

Reaction score
Bumping this! Just discovered some very grim news that axolotls are fried in Japan for food. This makes me all the more curious about the high demand for axolotl eggs. Any info would be very appreciated!

Murk

Reaction score
I've found the opposite - that it can be quite hard to find good homes for a full batch of larvae/juveniles. After all, there are only so many people who want an axolotl, and there's a lot of axolotl per batch.

I don't think the food market for axolotls is quite big, and big research institutions often have their own supply. In my experience, most axolotl eggs from pet owners also end up as pets (often, through re-sellers).

I do know a lot of resellers are a lot less finicky about culling eggs or larvae. For them, it might be much easier just to buy the eggs in bulk and see which ones grow up to be strong or have a nice colour, to sell. The rest will probably meet an unfortunate end.

kaixingin

Reaction score
I've found the opposite - that it can be quite hard to find good homes for a full batch of larvae/juveniles. After all, there are only so many people who want an axolotl, and there's a lot of axolotl per batch.

I don't think the food market for axolotls is quite big, and big research institutions often have their own supply. In my experience, most axolotl eggs from pet owners also end up as pets (often, through re-sellers).

I do know a lot of resellers are a lot less finicky about culling eggs or larvae. For them, it might be much easier just to buy the eggs in bulk and see which ones grow up to be strong or have a nice colour, to sell. The rest will probably meet an unfortunate end.
Yeah luckily its seen as a delicacy but apparently a very popular one in Osaka. Truly haunting imagery. And okay, that makes sense about culling batches for results. I guess its okay since it occurs in the wild a lot more indiscriminantly. Thank you for your response! This was keeping me up at night xD

Murk

Reaction score
Axolotls (and similar) were a popular staple food with the Mesoamerican native Americans as well (Aztecs, Olmecs, etc.) The Aztecs built their floating chinampa gardens on top of the lakes and creeks, which makes a perfect environment for axolotls: dark, cool, murky, lots of hiding places, lots of small critters. They supposedly taste very good, but I haven't personally tried ;)

In general though, yeah, culling is almost always necessary. One batch of eggs can easily produce two hundred larvae. Most people cull the eggs before they even start growing, because that's probably more ethical. If you're a commercial reseller, waiting to see which ones are strong or rare is probably more practical.
I once decided it would be best to keep them all in one tank and let natural selection do its job, and came to regret that very much. I thought it would be the ethical thing to do, but all the starvation and cannibalism was unpleasant for both me and the axolotls. Culling them as eggs (freezing the eggs work) is much better for the conscience.

kaixingin

Reaction score
Axolotls (and similar) were a popular staple food with the Mesoamerican native Americans as well (Aztecs, Olmecs, etc.) The Aztecs built their floating chinampa gardens on top of the lakes and creeks, which makes a perfect environment for axolotls: dark, cool, murky, lots of hiding places, lots of small critters. They supposedly taste very good, but I haven't personally tried ;)

In general though, yeah, culling is almost always necessary. One batch of eggs can easily produce two hundred larvae. Most people cull the eggs before they even start growing, because that's probably more ethical. If you're a commercial reseller, waiting to see which ones are strong or rare is probably more practical.
I once decided it would be best to keep them all in one tank and let natural selection do its job, and came to regret that very much. I thought it would be the ethical thing to do, but all the starvation and cannibalism was unpleasant for both me and the axolotls. Culling them as eggs (freezing the eggs work) is much better for the conscience.
I guess it was more the being deep fried alive that was bugging me especially since its not for subsistence but yeah :( </3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1