Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is it?

K

kim

Right ok for you peeps out there... I went into a local pet shop today, I dont normally go in there but I wanted to see if they had any live daphnia, as my other shops supplier has 'gone on strike'..

Anyway back to the point.. as walking past one of there half filled tanks I notice a big head sat under it... hummm huge axolotl? I called the guy over and said what exactly is that...

Him: 'we dont know it came in as a tiger salamander but after some research on the net we think its a dog faced fishy something or other'

Me: you what? Can i take a look?

Him: yeah sure i'll just over him out from under the filter..

So I watch very closely... What appeared was a huge thing that looked like an axolotl... but surely it cant be?

He certainly male, but it at least 1 foot long, his head is huge, Olive in colour.. his was as think as a grown mans fore arm!

Could he be a neotonic Tiger? But i didnt think they were that big... Take a look and let me know what you think!

They have him for sale at £100... which is just mad! And they dont even have what he is up.. not that they know what he is!

28845.jpg

28846.jpg

28847.jpg

28848.jpg

By the way the pics aint great as i took them with my phone!

P

paris

yep killer tiger/jumbo fish bait.....if it morphs it will be huge....well it's still huge either way but 100L is outrageous-tell them the sushi bar down the street doesnt charge 1/8 that price.....there is a photo of a neotenic tiger that size on the tiger care sheet at CC.

K

kim

Hes so big... I would have him... 2 problems tho... too much money and I can get another tank yet
sad.gif
... Hmmmm wonder if a friend will keep him for me
happy.gif

I want to give the shop a care sheet, on this animal, but there isnt one. I dont want the person that buys it not to know what the hell it is..

I spoke to Andrew (pollywog) he says that the animal will morph, once it reachs summer here!

(Message edited by jigglypuff on January 07, 2005)

J

jenny

oh my gosh that is so cool.

how do you look after them i cant find anything on the net about them.

what is the link to the caresheet for it on this site i cant find that either?

kim, what is the name of the pet shop?

J

jenny

ok i found some information about it. but only the background info like, that its like an axolotl but isnt and that if you keep them cool enough they wont morph and that they get to 15 inches.

*its so special*

J

jenny

searched on yell.com

second pet place i found said they had it (im so good ;) )

theyre calling it an axolotl. . .

i said its a salamander n she was like no. its an axolotl.
(rspca) !!

i so really want it.

J

jenny

whats if it morphs! it might die if they keep it in the water!

J

jenny

and whats if someone buys him thinking he is an axolotl and puts him in with their axolotls!

J

jenny

how do you knoq for sure its not an axolotl. ive seen massive axolotls at manchester museum and chester zoo. the lady said it was 12 inches. which is 30cm...which is axolotl size..

K

kim

Jenny,

One theres no need for that many posts in one message, just edit you last one!

I can tell you now that its isnt an axolotl! Im not telling you the name of the shop.

I think he was over a foot, and around 14inches long at least.

I'm going to see him again tonight. And to tell them what they have.

It will morph in the summer as its too warm for them, they havebeen colected from the wild in America.

pollywog

Reaction score
Jenny,
First of all is there any chance you can start combining your posts rather than having so many? All you need do is edit your first post to add in all the extra stuff you want to say.
Neotenic Tigers are kept in the same manner as Axolotls but will inevitably morph out when the summer comes and the water temperatures raise and then you would just be left with a rather large rather expensive Tiger Salamander.
Secondly are you sure you spoke to the right shop and not just one with a large Axolotl? Not knowing the exact ID of a species is not a reasonable reason to report them to the RSPCA!

Kim, if you want to give them a caresheet print out one for an Axolotl and one for the Tiger Salamander that way they have info on how to care for it in all stages of its life.

Kim you beet me to it! < Jenny see what I did I edited my post rather than posting again!

(Message edited by pollywog on January 07, 2005)

J

jenny

sorry bout the post thing..

i know the name of the shop. its wyevale garden centre.

and they said they only have one and its £100 so itd be a coincidence.

what exactly would be wrong with me knowing the name of the pet shop (if i didnt already know)

K

kim

I think I should keep my reason of not telling you the name of the petshop to myself.

Im going up there after, nice guy he is knows most things about what they sell. Theres a guying coming into buy it on friday.

The reason they think its an axolotl is because I told them thats what I thought it was... And the guy also thought it was one when I was talking to him.

Andrew> I'm gonig to print them out before I finish today... Hopefuly the guy that buys it will know what to expect!

J

jenny

sorry. i was just excited.
what does 'ssp' stand for?

i really want one.

(Message edited by jennyg on January 07, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!