Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is pool filter sand?

R

rheann

I saw a post about Pool filter sand, but I got lost. what is pool filter sand? What color is it, how much is it, and where can I get it? Its ok to put in my tank? I was thinking of getting an interesting color of sand, as I'm not very happy with my natural river sand, it doesn't do much for the tank for me. Can I get pool filter sand at Walmart? Hmm... I was also thining about getting some really large aquarium gravel, the really big kind so they can't swollow it, but I have to think hard on that one, perhaps maybe add sand with it, not sure yet. Sorry for the confusion, I am just not sure what it is. Thanks
happy.gif

A

anne-marie

Rheann, I assume pool filter sand is sand that has something to do with pool filters
happy.gif
. Thats as much as I know about it. I think its fairly cheap to buy but I don't know what it looks like. I'm going to start looking next week sometime, probably after exams. Actually that makes it the week after next. Bummer.

R

rheann

lol, I didn't know that sand was put into pool filters, I don't know anything about pool maintances. I think I should ask my husbands dad, he has a pool and a hot tub. Hmm... I looked it up on the net, seems to only come in white, but white would make my black axie stand out, as well as my wild axie, but I think my white axie would get lost! Lol. maybe it comes in different colors, I will check at walmart soon, and use my natural sand for my Geckos tank, as they will love it! going to take a while to dry out, and I don't plan to do this for a while, but sometime in the next few weeks maybe, or maybe not. I think if I tried black sand, my black Axolotl would get lost. I see that sand comes in many different colors from blue to red, but not sure if I should put that in my tank. Maybe if I mixe both white and black...hmm.. I'll look around
happy.gif

C

cynthia

Swimming pool filter sand is generally Silica. While some of it may be ok some of it is sharp. (see link to post about this below)

Jennifer is using this in at least one of her newt tanks, and has said she likes it.

I have never used it in aquariums but (back in the day) I did use it in a swimming pool sand filter.

It comes in white and sort of a neutral color. The dust that comes off silica sand is dangerous and you should not inhale it. Wear a mask while handeling it when it is dry.

I would not recommend it for your geckos. Though I did see some sand "specially made" for reptiles the last time I was at the pet shop. It was sand they could eat that apparently had calcium or something good in it. I forget the details.

I am afraid that aquarium sand for fresh water does not come in a lot of colors at least that I can find. White and black are the choices from CaribSea (Tahitian Moon Sand), and it is usually close to $20 a bag.

Not to say all silica sand is like this but I did find this post:

Silica sand
Hello,
I am new to this site and I am sure you have already encountered this
question before, but please bear with me. I currently have a 75 gallon with 3
small frontosas, 3 clown loaches, 1 Syndontis catfish, and 1 Pleco. I had
aquarium gravel in this tank but upon reading articles about these fish I found out
they prefer sand substrates. Many sites have said that you can use pool
filter sand as a substrate and I bought some.
<mmm,>
After cleaning it really well
stirring it with my hands, I noticed little cuts on them.
<bingo>
Finding more sites, I now read that silica is actually sharp and will injure my fish, yet you said
at one time you used sandblasting sand. Isn't silica the same thing?
<maybe>
Is there a sand more suitable that isn't as costly as what my LFS is charging?
Thanks,
Wanda
<All sorts. Please read here: http://wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwsubstrates.htm
and check out your local rock and gravel, landscape suppliers. Bob Fenner>

here: http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:k_N55yX2mPQJ:www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/fwgravelfaqs.htm+colored+reef+sand+in+fresh+water+tank&hl=en

B

brian

What kind of Geckos do you have Rheann? Natural sand is not good always good for some geckos, as it can cause sand impactions.

J

jennifer

Here's a link where I posted about it (cost, color, where to buy, etc.)
http://www.caudata.org/forum/messages/7618/27847.html
I doubt they have it at walmart, but there are lots of specialty pool stores around if you look.

(If you've ever seen an above-ground pool, there is usually a big spherical thing next to it. This is the filter, and it is full of sand. The pump forces water through the sand, thus cleaning the pool water. Below-ground pools have these too, but it's usually buried where you don't see it.)

The idea that pool sand is sharp is a bit disturbing. I've stirred it quite a lot with my hands, and it was a bit rough, but didn't produce cuts. I can't say for sure that the sharpness is OK, but I've been using it for a while with axies, etc., and had no problems.

R

rheann

Thanks Cynthia, Thanks Brian, Thanks Jennifer, I have cage carpet in my tank, I don't have any sand. I did have some Calci sand for my African Fat tail Gecko, but I took it out a long time ago and replaced it with carpet, because its much easier to clean. I also Have A luecistic Leopard Gecko. I decided that I am just going to keep the sand I already have in my tank, and Just rearange some things, add a few more big river rocks, maybe some different plants. I want it to look Natural, yet a little artistic. I have been very busy the last two days heling with my husbands sisters wedding, I am so tired. Tomorrow if I am feeling better, I am going to take out the plants and clean them, and do another 20 % water change, as I did one last week, its time for another one. I appreciate everyones help. There is also a lot of nice river rocks, both big, and medium at the home depot that they sell as land scaping materials, I want to look into that as well. I was searching the net, and I found that aquarium sand comes in blue, green, and pink lol. I wouldn't put that in my tank. I am also looking for some bigger aqaurium gravel, the largest kind that sells so my axolotls wont eat it and cause harm to them. I noticed my wild Axolotls gills have gotten huge! How can I produce more Oxegon in the water? I added extra carbon to the filter cartrages, but this doesn't seem to help, and I have that plus now just from last night an air stone also going in the tank. Is he getting enough Oxegon? My other two Axolotls are doing great! I am so happy, the love to eat, and they are very curious of me
happy.gif
Thanks again guys for all your help.

C

cynthia

Some axolotls have large gills. I wouldn't add air stones to try discourage gill growth. If his gills were shrinking I would worry but not if they are growing.

R

rheann

Ok phew, that's a relief
happy.gif
Thanks Cynthia, That helps a lot. I wont use the air stone then
happy.gif

J

jennifer

I agree that gill growth is not a cause for worrry. However, is the tank tightly sealed, particularly with one of those hinged glass lids? I have one of those, and I did put a small airstone in the tank, as this lid gives very little chance for air to get in.

R

rheann

ah, that would be it, Jennifer
happy.gif
I have a lid over it, I keep part of it open, but i couldn see the ciculation probplem I have to keep a lid on it, else my cat will drink from the tank lol. I would like to try and get one of those wire mesh tops, but I need to find one that can leave room for the filter, otherwise I will have to cut a space on it by hand and bend the sharp peices so my axies nor my self will get cut. i will look into that, that way I can still keep my light, makes the tank oh soo pretty O__O Thanks Jennifer
happy.gif

J

jennifer

As long as the lid is partly open, or has some small cracks in it, I really wouldn't worry. Ordinary plastic hood lids allow air to diffuse in just fine.

R

rheann

thanks Again Jennifer
happy.gif
I'll just leave my lid the way it is then
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!