What is the difference?

Derm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Derm
Is there a specific difference between axolotls and Ambystoma andersoni? I've seen pictures and all i see is a color difference. Is there more to it? Thanks in advance for answering my question.

They're two different species. It's the same as the difference between a tiger salamander larva and an axolotl. They're from different places and have different characteristics that make them unique species.

The andersoni are a little larger than axolotls and a little wider. They act much the same and are kept much the same as axolotls. I think their breeding season is different and hope to find out soon. My guess is axolotls breed mostly over the winter in captivity. It's been reported that Ambystoma andersoni breed in the spring.

Thanks. Has there been inter breeding between them?

Thanks. Has there been inter breeding between them?

Their is work being done crossing them for research purposes.

cool thanks for answering my questions

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back