What is the exact meaning of 'melanoid'

Jade x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered what the exact meaning of a melanoid is? iv heard many different meanings of it but dont know which one it really is :) i posted before about what colour one of my axolotls and was told he/she was melanoid, but not sure what relenvence this is? sorry perhaps stupid question!! :) haha. This is Po :)

Attachments

• Photo1258.jpg
    Photo1258.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,236
Melanoid in general just means any mutation that causes an increase in melanin production. In the specific case of axolotls, there´s only one mutation that´s generally recognized as melanoid, and since it´s just that one, they are simply called "melanoids".
The mutation that causes the "melanoid" axolotl morph not only causes an increase in melanin and melanophore production but also causes a complete lack of iridophores, which makes the animal look solid dark.
New melanoid mutations could appear that cause different results.

If you can see a ring around its pupil its just a dark animal. If there isn't a ring and its eye is solid black it's a melanoid.

i've heard someone mention leuistic melanoid? are these real?

Yes, that combination is possible. The would probably look creamy white as adults.

leucistic melanoid are often just called white albinos and are not always differentiated from other white albinos in the hobby. It is a practical thing. When looking at those white albino babies it is not always easy to phenotypically be certain what type of white albino they are.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back