What is this bug?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It seems every year I am confronted by some new, as yet unknown to me, bug in my backyard.
This year:

What is this thing??

Thanks

Attachments

• What bug.jpg
    What bug.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 498
Appears to be a relatively young Scolopendra sp. centipede. Given your locale and it's bright color, it may very well be Scolopendra heros. Could also be S. polymormphos.

Looks to be a centipede. I feed them to my Salamanders by hand. I hold on to their heads and when the salamander grabs it I squeeze and crush their heads. This is so they can't bite my salamanders. Sometimes they get me just right and give me a little pinch. So this would be a big bite to a salamander. No insect goes to waste here.

I'll agree its a centipede but I have some strong doubts as to the species. I see those around here and they've always keyed out to be one of the soil centipedes like Geophilomorpha...

Ed

Well, I never feed my sals anything I wouldn't eat myself, so I don't think they'll be getting any of these...:frog:

Last edited:
Well, I never feed my sals anything I wouldn't eat myself, so I don't think they'll be getting any of these...:frog:
I certainly hope this is another example of the Otterwoman's sense of humor. If not, I have to marvel at your ability to eat worms.:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Having no eyes(by the looks of it) and being so thin and long, I'm with Ed. That definately looks like a soil centipede to me. Sorta looks something of the genus Strigamia (family Linotaeniidae and order Geophilomorpha).

I know some of the amphibian keepers that have terrestrial snail issues in thier terraria are trying out some of the soil centipedes to deal with the excess snails..

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back