What is your axies diet?

G

grant

Ok, my axie will be coming pretty soon and I wanna make sure I get a good diet for him. I hear variety is very important for any axie so this is ABOUT what my axies diet will be: Mainly cut up earthworms, occasional frozen bloodworms, and I was thinking maybe some type of live fish (not guppies, I heard rosy red minows) about once a month or so. Well what else should I include in it's diet? And, what is your axies diet?

Axe the fish. Add butterworms, waxworms, soft sinking pellets, occasional beef heart/beef liver, etc.

fish are ok if you breed them yourself from healthy stock, but this isn't worth it for most hobbyists with only a couple of axos.

my college gives pinkies as a treat and also mealworms. these are only as treats though esp mealworms as they are high in fats/oils and can damage the liver.
my axies diet just consists of earthworms. might get some pinkies for them to see if they like them.

Grant if you have another fishtank - dropping a dozen guppies in there will keep your axolotls fed w/occasional live foods. Every now and again, my tropical tank gets over run with guppies and I pitch a few into the axolotl tank.

My fish tank has NEVER had any kind of medication in it. Meds can linger and seep out of silk plants and gravel - so thats important. Of course the amount of seepage affecting the guppies and then affecting the axolotls might be about nil. Just a thought.

sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back