What is your favorite substrate to use and why?

Danolfs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dan & Heathar
When I originally brought home my axolotls, I was told that I could use sand, that it would be better than normal gravel. I ended up buying play sand from the local Home Depot and rinsed it thoroughly before putting it into the tank. The sand ended up darkening quite a bit in the water and I wasn't really pleased with the results. I decided I wanted to try out a new substrate, so here I am with the following question...

What is your favorite substrate to use and why?

Also- would river rocks from Hobby Lobby (rinsed off) still have chemicals on them that would kill the axolotls?

I have black Tahitian moon sand with larger sized white river stones and it works really well for me and never had any issues. Although i know there is a large thread lurking around about why not to use that sand.

Rinsing the stones would be fine

Try to get something which is opposite to your axolotls colour that will make it stand out and look more vibrant

My favorite substrate is water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back