Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What kind?

Insane1818

Reaction score
My mom found this in her back yard today. It looks to be very young, still has part of the tadpole tail.
It is a light greenish color with lighter green to yellow legs. Some light spots, smooth, ~ 1 and 1/2 long. Does anyone Know what type of frog it is?

Thank you.

Attachments

• momsfrog.jpg
    momsfrog.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 378

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Hard to say. We need to know where it was found (state and county is probably sufficient), and it would help to see important features in focus, like toe pads and the hidden parts of the legs.

Molch

Reaction score
hmm..I can't tell from the pic - it would help if you told us the geographic location.

Insane1818

Reaction score
Louisville, KY. There is a man-maid pond in the neighborhood. My mom found it yesterday in her garage, made dad "scare it off" but didnt really work.. it was on her patio today and not interested in going anywhere.

Insane1818

Reaction score
Sorry for the low quality pics, taken with my cell phone. Hope the pictures help.

Attachments

• momsfrog2.jpg
    momsfrog2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 333
  • momsfrog3.jpg
    momsfrog3.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 337

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Best guess would be a gray treefrog of some sort, IF it has distinct toe pads, and then it would be impossible to determine which species. However, I can't see the length of the digits, size of the toe tips, extent of webbing, size of the eardrum, arrangement of glandular ridges behind the eyes [if any]. The color and pattern are of minimal use, and the above characters are needed to even tell which family it belongs to.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
That last one is more useful. I think bullfrog is the best guess. No dorsolateral folds, eyes more or less dorsal, body shape of a ranid, extensive foot webbing, webless fingers, and no toepads at all. Trouble is, bullfrogs usually disappear into the water with a squeak the moment you get anywhere near them. Posing is NOT something small ones are inclined to do, since they're lunch for pretty much everything capable of swallowing them.

Reaction score
This looks like a Green Frog (Rana clamitans) to me. They look very similar to American Bullfrogs, but they are smaller and, from my experience, stray farther from water.

Insane1818

Reaction score
Thank you for the info.. so now I guess I shall research the two and see what I come up with.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1